You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when you have all your brew days scheduled for 2014

View attachment 165286

I'm curious how well do you follow that schedule? Do you ever fudge the dates, or are you on top of it? I feel like doing a schedule like that would get me brewing more, but I can't imagine I would be able to do it on those days like clock works.

At this point, I'd be happy if I could schedule brew days for the few seasonal beers I do each year.

My schedule would be more like, "Sometime around Sept: try to make a pumpkin beer."

My hat is off to you...

I'm curious how well do you follow that schedule? Do you ever fudge the dates, or are you on top of it? I feel like doing a schedule like that would get me brewing more, but I can't imagine I would be able to do it on those days like clock works.

At this point, I'd be happy if I could schedule brew days for the few seasonal beers I do each year.

My schedule would be more like, "Sometime around Sept: try to make a pumpkin beer."

My hat is off to you...
Not me man. For me, when something has to follow that rigid of a schedule, it starts to feel like work and loses almost all of its appeal.

I used to play in a Thursday night volleyball pick-up league. Show up, split into teams, and play. When it got to where if you didn't show, you got a phone call asking where you were... or you got nagging phone calls begging you to come play so they had enough people... despite it being a good time and really enjoyable group, the "fun" factor was completely destroyed for me, and I haven't been back in almost two years now. If I had to set up a calendar of when I was going to brew what beer... I'd probably sell all of my equipment.

dkwolf said:
Not me man. For me, when something has to follow that rigid of a schedule, it starts to feel like work and loses almost all of its appeal. I used to play in a Thursday night volleyball pick-up league. Show up, split into teams, and play. When it got to where if you didn't show, you got a phone call asking where you were... or you got nagging phone calls begging you to come play so they had enough people... despite it being a good time and really enjoyable group, the "fun" factor was completely destroyed for me, and I haven't been back in almost two years now. If I had to set up a calendar of when I was going to brew what beer... I'd probably sell all of my equipment.

With a wife and daughter if I don't out it on the calendar a month ahead some other activity/practice/game/trip gets scheduled and dad runs out of beer.

(Actually dad goes to store and buys some expensive bombers with flip tops to make him feel better).

How about when you are watching football on TV with the sound muted so you can listen to a podcast on the brewing network about yeast!?!

My hat is off to you...

time, money and the BigHair keep brew days limited to once a month

will follow the schedule as close as possible. most of the styles are for monthly brew club competitions (10 months out of 12) and are timed as best I can to catch the beer coming into its peak flavor around the time of the comp.

also timed around picking up ingredients the week before brew day, coinciding with mid-month paycheck

@dkwolf: I can see where it might start to seem like work, but I'm looking forward to every one of those days. wish I could brew more, but keeping up with the mortgage and maintaining marital bliss prevents brewing every week

My coworker was eating a banana and walked near me. I smelled it, looked up slightly paniced thinking a brew was fermenting too warm. I still could not rationalize it to the fruit itself.

00n0n_cdJNsSmXjKI_600x450.jpg

When you see two 15.5 gallon corny kegs on Craig's list for $65 each, and you can't help from checking email every 5 minutes to see if the guy replies back to let you know if they sold. Man I hope I get those...

When you've been brewing long enough to write a story about a guy's home brewing abilities saving him from a worse fate when the new world order takes over.

When you tell your wife you'll be 45 minutes to an hour late picking her up from work because you have to get to the LHBS before they close so you can brew on your day off tomorrow.

Or

When you buy hops specifically for a hopped mead, but need to brew a beer too so the rest of the hops don't go to waste.

When you're over at your fiancee's house for Thanksgiving dinner and while you're in the other room your future in-laws ask your fiancee what they should get you as a Christmas gift and your fiancee responds:

"Obviously you don't know him very well. Look at what you're drinking right now. That should give you a hint."

God I love her. :D

When you're over at your fiancee's house for Thanksgiving dinner and while you're in the other room your future in-laws ask your fiancee what they should get you as a Christmas gift and your fiancee responds:

"Obviously you don't know him very well. Look at what you're drinking right now. That should give you a hint."

God I love her. :D

I need to know... What were they drinking? :fro:

I need to know... What were they drinking? :fro:

Do you really have to ask? ;)

But yeah, her dad works for a government agency and makes trips in D.C. pretty frequently so I've got my fingers crossed he picks up something pretty dandy on one of his next excursions. For Thanksgiving he brought us back a 750 of the American Beauty by DFH.

You have to explain to your friends how your eye lashes got singed when you were trying to see if your flame was optimal and that it is not weird. And that you are not obsessed with beer..

When you start brewing wine for the wife just so you can brew!

And my beer is WAY better than commercial brew!

When you just know that drinking one more bottle of Newcastle is going to be a bad idea after a full meal...but you do it anyway because you've got 3 batches almost ready to bottle and you're low on bottles.

I've got a few clear ones in my rotation that I use to monitor how the beer is clearing, but these particular ones were brown glass.

Go to the general chit chat forum & look under Who likes sci-fi & the aspiring author thread. I used to do a magazine column in the mid-90's that saw world wide publication. I got a new inspiration recently.

We were having brew day at a friend's house and a guy stopped by thinking it was a yard sale. So we were showing him the process and tapped him a beer off my 3 gallon keg in a cooler and he said that the private school he worked for had a bunch of kegs sitting in the shed that Pepsi never came to pick them up. They have been in there for at least 7 years so if we wanted them we could have them. This was last weekend he dropped them off at my friend's house this afternoon 12 kegs and 2 20lbs tanks :mug:

We were having brew day at a friend's house and a guy stopped by thinking it was a yard sale. So we were showing him the process and tapped him a beer off my 3 gallon keg in a cooler and he said that the private school he worked for had a bunch of kegs sitting in the shed that Pepsi never came to pick them up. They have been in there for at least 7 years so if we wanted them we could have them. This was last weekend he dropped them off at my friend's house this afternoon 12 kegs and 2 20lbs tanks :mug:

That's awesome and makes me sooooo jealous haha

Only jealous until you find out how big of a hassle it is to get the kegs cleaned after 7 years of syrup glued to the insides. :mug:

For the cost, I'd gladly do the labor! I got 5 for $150 a while back that were unused for a few years and I was pumped (until I found out one has a leak at the post). And, you could clean them all together! Plus the 2 20lb tanks!!!

Back