Impromptu "Bitter" Brewday - which yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopheadNJ

Reaction score
Had the day off today thanks to mother nature again so I had to take advantage of my time wisely... :tank:

I Brewed based off of Orphys Boddingtons bitter recipe. Fudged my mash temps completely 147, so I went low and slow with a 100minute mash. Hopefully the carapils in the recipe keeps a little bit of a body to this beer.

I planned on pitching Nottingham because my basement is on the cooler side right now (prob low 60's w/ aquarium heater), but I've got a pack of S-04 too...What would be a better choice to keep a malty profile to take away from the possible thin body/dryness of this batch?

Nottingham.

Went with it as initially planned. Had a rough brew day yesterday...haven't had time to brew since the fall, guess I was a little rusty. As I said, missed my mash temps completely and was using a new burner that has a little more power and def. had more wort evaporate than usual.

Came in at 1.050 and a gallon short with a total of 4 gallons in the fermenter. Judging by Beersmith this is going to be about 74 ibus....Hopefully this wont be too bitter to enjoy. Oh well!

So you made an IPA instead of a bitter, basically. 74 IBU's is a lot, but it just might be a single-serving beer rather than a session beer....though it depends on how much you like hops. There's some beers even more bitter than that that I really enjoy.

I generally boil a gallon of water and put it in a sterilized jug a day or two before brewday. They I just put it in the fridge/garage, and I have ready-made, sterile, cold top-off water at the ready in case I overshoot gravity/undershoot volume. It's saved me a lot of time.

So you made an IPA instead of a bitter, basically. 74 IBU's is a lot, but it just might be a single-serving beer rather than a session beer....though it depends on how much you like hops. There's some beers even more bitter than that that I really enjoy.

I generally boil a gallon of water and put it in a sterilized jug a day or two before brewday. They I just put it in the fridge/garage, and I have ready-made, sterile, cold top-off water at the ready in case I overshoot gravity/undershoot volume. It's saved me a lot of time.

Yeah, i like that idea of having some water ready to go. I don't mind bitter beers at all, just not what I was shooting for! Oh well, at least it's fermenting away strongly!

Back