Forgot Whirlfloc - anything else I can use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I'm about 1 week into an IPA. Are there any clearing things out there I cna use at this point?

I'm not THAT concerned but the beer is not for me so . . . . .

+1 Cold crash - if you have the time for it IMO it's the way to go. Gelatin creeps me out, don't really like adding it to my beer. Less is more.

After you cold crash, do you have to warm up to room temp before mixing priming sugar and bottling? Or do you mix and bottle cold, then let it warm up for bottle conditioning?

I just figured out I can fit my 5 gal BB and airlock right in my fridge :) That'll get it down to like 40-45F.

After fermentation is complete. I cold crash in the keg, some cold crash their secondaries or even primaries. I put mine in 38 degree rerigerator sometimes with gelatin, sometimes without, depending on how clear the racked beer looks. I cold crash for at least 4-5 days. Some do shorter.

Cold crashing is a fiunction of temp and time. According to Dr. Bamforth, the temp is more important and a lower temp for a short time is better than a higher temp for a longer time. Basically a lower temp for a longer time is the best (lagering, lets not argue about that again).

I rock it at 33º for 4-5 days.

I forgot on my latest IPA too, but I always do a cold crash and adding some gelatin with about 2 days before racking, total time at 32 degrees is about 4-5 days.

Back