should i be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumbys_Brew

Reaction score
i brewed an oatmeal stout on saturday pitched yeast in fermenter around 7p.m. and it is now monday still no activity. went to the LHBS they gave me some dry yeast to repitch. should i repitch and when should i really start to worry?

Pitch now. What temperature? It should be 66F to 68F for ale and 50 to 53F for lagers.

its about 68f thank you will repitch. should i hydrate the dry yeast first?

Classic rule is to wait 72 hours before freaking out. Have you tried swirling it up? And don't base lack of fermentaion off no airlock activity. What does Lack of activity mean? Taken hydro readings and saw no change? Are you fermenting in a bucket or carboy? Is there visual krasussen or a ring above wort level?

in a bucket. i took a peek and no signs of activity no foamage or anything

What kind of yeast did you start with? Starter?
If smack pack did it swell?
If Whitelabs tube was there pressure?

Give it 3 days minimum before stressing and attempting to "fix" the beer. You need to wait until tomorrow night before deciding. You should also check the gravity before repitching, it is possible the yeast fermented and dropped out in 24 hours or less. I have seen that before also.

Unless you have a really high OG then pitching the dry yeast directly in the wort without rehydration is fine.

Craig

Check the other Stout no fermentation thread right below yours. and the other 60000000 no fermentation threads under the search feature. Be patient, give it a swirl, take reading, if nothing after 72-80 hours, re-aerate and pitch another packet of dry yeast. If using a vial, make a starter. Make sure you aerate well.:mug:

What kind of yeast did you start with? Starter?
If smack pack did it swell?
If Whitelabs tube was there pressure?

Give it 3 days minimum before stressing and attempting to "fix" the beer. You need to wait until tomorrow night before deciding. You should also check the gravity before repitching, it is possible the yeast fermented and dropped out in 24 hours or less. I have seen that before also.

Unless you have a really high OG then pitching the dry yeast directly in the wort without rehydration is fine.

Craig

it was a smack pack did not swell which made me skeptical from the begining because smack packs in the past usually were about the explode.

Check the other Stout no fermentation thread right below yours. and the other 60000000 no fermentation threads under the search feature. Be patient, give it a swirl, take reading, if nothing after 72-80 hours, re-aerate and pitch another packet of dry yeast. If using a vial, make a starter. Make sure you aerate well.:mug:

alright thanks for the help

The way the smack pack works is there is a little pouch inside the big pouch. The little pouch contains your yeast. The big packet contains Yeast nutrient and starter wort. You locate the bubble, smack that to pop it letting the yeasties escape, and shake to mix well with the nutrients and wort. You maybe have just gotten lucky previously by just smacking not know what you were smacking for. The easiest thing to to is feel around for the bubble, maneuver it into a corner, then holding it place from behind with one hand, smack it with the other. Here's a vid
Wyeast Laboratories : Home Enthusiasts : Brewers : Smack Pack Video

The way the smack pack works is there is a little pouch inside the big pouch. The little pouch contains your yeast. The big packet contains Yeast nutrient and starter wort. You locate the bubble, smack that to pop it letting the yeasties escape, and shake to mix well with the nutrients and wort. You maybe have just gotten lucky previously by just smacking not know what you were smacking for. The easiest thing to to is feel around for the bubble, maneuver it into a corner, then holding it place from behind with one hand, smack it with the other. Here's a vid

oh ok well i'll know that for next time. you've been a great help do appreciate it :mug:

At the risk of opening a big can of works, I think you are backwards in your explanation. The smaller inner pouch contains the starter wort and nutrients and the yeast are outside of that in the larger pouch. At least this is what I understand. Someone else is welcome to correct me if I am wrong.

At the risk of opening a big can of works, I think you are backwards in your explanation. The smaller inner pouch contains the starter wort and nutrients and the yeast are outside of that in the larger pouch. At least this is what I understand. Someone else is welcome to correct me if I am wrong.

i'd say you're right thats what it says in the wyeast video

Back