Gelatin cold crash same time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonp9576

Reaction score
I have been having trouble with clarity recently. I tried gelatin before kegging, then I read I should try to gelatin then keg later.

I'm thinking I should try this method. Boil water and cool it down till its "warm". Then add gelatin to it.

Put that in a a fresh carboy. Rack the beer not it and put it n the fridge for a few days. Then keg.

Is it ok to cold crash and gelatin at the same time? What's the best process to add the gelatin? SOme say to let it sit for a while before adding it. Some say hot water some say cold. Can someone please help. My searches have all returned mixed answers.

I recently used gelatin on my Irish Ale and it worked out well.

I dissolved a packet in about a cup of water, warming it on the stove only till it was totally dissolved, wisking the whole time. As soon as it was clear I took it off the heat and poured it in the carboy (still quite warm) as I was racking off the primary cake.

I then moved the carboy to my cold garage and aged for 2 weeks.

I returned the now clear carboy to the house to warm up for a day before I bottled. It carbed up in about a week after that and is quite clear.

Not sure if this is the best way, but it worked for me.

Come to think of it, its possible the beer cleared up due to cold rather than gelatin. I probably didn't need to add the gelatin at all. I used heated water simply to aid in dissolving. Depending how long you plan to keep the carboy cold, I might not bother with gelatin. Others may know better than I do, however.

Different fining agents remove different materials:

Gelatin: polyphenols and proteins
Isinglass: yeast, polyphenols, proteins
Polyclar: polyphenols

You may find that a combination is required depending on what is causing your clarity problem.

I used gelatin for the first time on a recent batch with great results. After two weeks in the keg conditioning/carbonating (35deg/12psi), and a few sample pints to clear the normal traces of sediment, it still wasn't as clear as I wanted so I decided to try fining. Here's how I did it:

1. Put 500mL of water in a 2L flask
2. Boil for 10 minutes to sanitize
3. Cover the flask with sanitized foil
4. Cool the water to 150 degrees using ice bath in sink
5. Add 1/2 teaspoon gelatin
6. Swirl and let completely dissolve for 15 minutes
7. Add gelatin solution to keg
8. Reseal the keg and swirl to mix
9. Continue with conditioning/carbonation

After 24 hours, I pulled a pint and it was an opaque, gray soup. Dump that one. Pulled another pint and it was hazy, but drinkable.
After 2 days, it was clear with a slight haze.
After a week, it was absolutely crystal clear.

FYI - based on some research, I only used 1/2 teaspoon of gelatin, which is a lot less than you will normally see recommended. Since it was a heavily dry hopped IPA, I didn't want to risk removing the lovely aroma. I must admit it worked very well.

Back