carboy size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machiavelli

Reaction score
I just bought my first glass carboy. 6 gal
Up until now, ive been using two plastic buckets.

Someone just told me that i should have gone 5 gallon size instead if im using it for secondary, because i want as little air as possible. Is that true? Will it make that big a difference? Should I see if i can exchange it?

Thanks
M

you'll be fine. In fact you'll like your 6'er cuz you can use it as a primary for 5 gallon batches.

But, if you do want to exchange it, I'll give you $20 for it :D

Have she ever told you size doesn't matter? Well shes lying! No really 6 gallon is great, gives you head space for primary and even in secondary you'll have enough CO2 in there to keep everything safe from O2. But if you thiink its to big I'll give you $21. lol

Exactly right. 6 gallons (even with 1 gallon of headspace) isn't going to be big enough to poison your beer in secondary; CO2 is a wonderful gas in this regard. 6 gallons is also a perfect size to primary your beers, and you'll rarely have to worry about the airlock Vs. blow-off issue unless it's a huge gravity brew.

Take it and run with it, and don't you dare sell it to these animals here! :mug:

llazy llama is llying. *does the jedi hand wave* Send the carboy to me, glass is dangerous and I'll dispose of it for you.

*Jedi mind trick* You don't want to dispose of that carboy.

*mind trick again* You certainly don't want to send it to EvilTOJ

*mind trick* EvilTOJ, you don't want to steal carboys, you want to go home and reevaluate your life :cross:

if you are worried about the air space on the secondary, just put in some clean/sanitized glass marbles to take up some space.

CO2 is a wonderful gas ?? Don't let Al Gore hear that. It won't be long, and we'll have airlocks with guages sticking out of our ***es so they can tax our carbon footfrint.:ban:

Back