Cleaning & Drying Rubber Hoses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coachlight

Reaction score
OK, hopefully this is an easy one. I cleaned my equipment in a big bucket of BPW after bottling on Sunday and after a few hours of soaking, I dried what I could. I hung my rubber tubes to dry, and still today (3 days) they aren't dry! What am I doing wrong? What is the best way to clean and dry my rubber hoses for storing?

Cheers.

Are you talking keg tubing, AG valve tubing, or an actual garden/rubber hose? I hang mine from the middle and ensure both end are open to air/drip. But in reality, so long as their clean and sterilized just prior to usage, then it doesn't really matter if they dry completely.

ProzHack said:
Are you talking keg tubing, AG valve tubing, or an actual garden/rubber hose? I hang mine from the middle and ensure both end are open to air/drip. But in reality, so long as their clean and sterilized just prior to usage, then it doesn't really matter if they dry completely.

The clear rubber tubes associated with my siphon and bottler. I was nervous about storing them away whil still wet in fear of mold or whatever. Just seemed crazy that after 3 days of hanging there they weren't fully dry.

I take mine outside and swing them around helicopter-style for a few minutes. I don't know if it helps but it's fun.

Short of an upward draft, bacteria don't typically float upwards. Don't hang them full length vertical as it leaves even the smallest of openings vertical and exposed, but hang them from the middle so both ends are downward facing. Then if you ensure there's nothing in there for the little nasties to consume (clean/flush before drying), then sterilize before using you should be okay.

Short of an upward draft, bacteria don't typically float upwards. Don't hang them full length vertical as it leaves even the smallest of openings vertical and exposed, but hang them from the middle so both ends are downward facing. Then if you ensure there's nothing in there for the little nasties to consume (clean/flush before drying), then sterilize before using you should be okay.

I hang mine like this. They mostly dry. I sanitize them before use as with anything else.

I have tanks of nitrogen that I use for work. I use the nitrogen to blow my hoses dry. Works like a charm. Don't use compressed air though, as it probably contains some oil.

Back