beer tower tarnished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bb239605

Reaction score
I was browsing craigslist the other day and came across this beauty for only $125:

ForumRunner_20111208_202104.jpg

Yes that's right, an all brass four tap beer tower complete with four brass perlick faucets and four BMC beer handles.

My problem it is tarnished and I have never owned anything brass in my life. What you recommended I use to clean it and then use to protect it from tarnishing again? Basically the whole thing needs cleaned and given a good once or twice over. Furthermore the faucets are tarnished throughout so I was thinking of soaking those in some cleaning agent.

Anyway, I feel like I got a good deal and after a little work this puppy will be barking like a real dog again, I just don't know the best way to tackle this project.

While the idea of polishing the brass is fun and all I would check this out:

Palmer covers that in How to Brew. Soak 'em in a solution of two parts white vinegar to one part hydrogen peroxide until they turn a buttery yellow (should only take a minute or two).

also these links may prove useful...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/cleaning-brass-149161/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/refurbing-brass-tower-169837/

BTW those 2 above links are the top 2 search results when searching "How to clean brass" as seen here: A home brewing beer and wine making civilized discussion community. Also with beer/wine/mead/cider discussion, beer reviews, pub talk, and general chit-chat. - Search Results for How to clean brass ;)

image-2751050056.jpg

This is my little two tap setup. It has taken about 4 years of natural aging, but the patina is coming along very nicely I think. I love that old British style tarnished look. If I wanted shiny taps I would have bought a chrome tower.

View attachment 40146

This is my little two tap setup. It has taken about 4 years of natural aging, but the patina is coming along very nicely I think. I love that old British style tarnished look. If I wanted shiny taps I would have bought a chrome tower.

I'm with you on this one! The aging looks really nice.

Well I just finished cleaning the beer tower. Ill post a picture once the thing finished drying and I put it back together.

I also agree that the aged beer tower looks good, however with extensive green tarnish i had to clean my tower.

In summation I soaked the faucets in vinegar and hydrogen peroxide then cleaned everything with bar keepers friend, which is essentially oxalic acid. I tried brasso but it didn't work well at all.

Back