Final Grav Low

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckyboy

Reaction score
Well long story short ive done 3 brews this week all in afermentor for about 3 day untill main ferment done then to secondary carboys and i was planing on leaving there for aleast 2 weeks now question is, i read that u bottle when the FG readings are with in range but if i get those within 5 days its not going to keep lowering over the 2 weeks can i just keep to my schedule to bottle or just do it when i hit grav for 3 days in a row?

sorry if its a dumba$$ noob thing i tried searching but i didnt really get the answer so if i could a few quick answers id appriciate it

I am assuming its ok but i wanted confirmation like my grade 8 teacher said never assume make an ass of u and me haha

Cheers

Cory

I think you have the right idea. (Please use some more punctuation next time!:) That was a bit hard to decipher!)

With 3 days in primary it is very possible to hit your expected FG, especially if you are pitching ideal amounts of yeast. The only disadvantage of going to primary after only three days is that you will get a lot of trub in the secondary, and I personally like to let the beer sit a little longer in primary so that I can leave behind a lot of that junk that will settle out.

Just be sure to take a gravity reading before you bottle and you should be on your way to enjoying some tasty homebrew. Brew on!:rockin:

I like to keep my beers in the primary for at least two weeks, depending on the brew. Those yeast still have to clean up after themselves.

Well i have absolutly no problem waiting as i learned from my first 2 brews (2 weeks and i was drinking thinking i should have great beer, dumped it all then found this site unfourtunaly) so i will leave it as long as need just guessing i will leave it in the secondary for 2 weeks see what happens with my schedule (limited time to do this stuff)

I only have one primary and 23 liter carboys so i thought leaving it in the primary untill the major fermentation is done then racking to carboys to let it sit would be good...real question is if i hit FG in 5 days will it still lower over 2, 3 ,4 weeks in the secondary?

Most ppl i read dont even secondary witch i can understand i just dont want to over flow all my carboys and make a mess so i fig it was a reasonable solution

Cheers Cory

Also i have been trying to mix up as much of the turb on the bottom when racking to get it into the carboys so yeast will have sufficiant "food" or whatnot

As i only have 1 plastic fermentor (soon to be 2 or 3 haha) i thought this a good soulution to just doing primary in 5g carboys to avoid major messes and head achs as i mentiond limited time to get things done

Cheers

Cory

i think that would be ok. they say you can rack as soon as you hit your FG. so if you just need to get it out of your fermenter, you should be ok.

Also i have been trying to mix up as much of the turb on the bottom when racking to get it into the carboys so yeast will have sufficiant "food" or whatnot

That stuff isn't yeast food, sugar is. The trub is just bits of protein and hops and floculated yeast. Most of the purpose of racking to secondary is to get all that sludge away from your beer, as well as getting more of it to settle out.

I prop one side of my fermentors up with a small scrap of plywood, then when I rack out of it I prop up the opposite side. This gives me less trub where I put my auto-siphon, and it tips the precious beer away from the deep side. You'll still get good beer even with stirring all the stuff in, it just won't be as clear and will probably also taste more yeasty, which may or may not be a good thing...

I understand that im basically out to do signal stage fermentation in the carboys i just dont want to have crazy blow outs in them, so that's why i figure start in the plastic pail to avoid having a ton of krausen into of my blow off tube possibly blocking it (i haven't had a brew yet that i could use the airlock right away) but with only 1 primary i have a longer turn around time with my brews if i wait the full week. I figured id get all the sediment, yeast, and ect into the carboy because i plan on leaving it long enough for that to pack down and then i can put it into my bottling bucket and leave 95% of the sediment behind anyway...if that makes sense

Cheers

Cory

I guess i should also mention that i work out of town a lot and am usually gone 12 hours of the day so i am not around to fix things if something dose happen and don't really know when ill be around to rack bottle or even look at the poor thing, so if it sits for 3 or 4 weeks then i find out ill be gone for 2 or 3 weeks i want to be able to just bottle right away and not have to worry

Cheers

Cory

Latest posts

Back