Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brew Class is Oct. 11th ! Free Food. Free Homebrew. Bring some of yours, too!

Sorry, phrogpilot73. But if you're in town over the weekend we could meet up at the shop and share some beers. Maybe get some more people from the board up there.
I only had my fingers crossed, I wasn't expecting it... Thanks for the offer - and depending on the schedule, I'll swing by. I always try to check out the local homebrew joint wherever I am. I arrive Thursday afternoon, and will be flying NROTC students from UF to Cecil Field in Jax on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, flying back home to Norfolk on Sunday. I don't know the times yet, but should by Thursday morning. I'll drop a line in this thread.

ok so:

how old are the hops at hoggetowne, and how do you guys store them?

(this is geared towards whoever works there)

also: october 11th is the all grain class/food/beer day right? what time is that at?

Yup, Oct 11. We usually start around noon or 1. There's a sign up sheet at the shop and we usually call everyone on it a couple days before.

We order hops pretty regularly. Got 2 different shipments coming in this week. Here's one of the shipments.

- Cascade - 10lbs
- Centennial - 5lbs
- Chinook - 5lbs
- Magnum - 2lbs
- Simcoe - 10lbs
- Sorachi Ace - 5lbs
- Zeus - 5lbs
- Northern Brewer 5lbs
- Citra - 2lbs

Our leaf hops are the oldest hops we have, that's why they're .50 an ounce or $6 for a pound. We have a ton of Williamette that needs to go. We store pellets in screw top containers in 2 large chest freezers. He's in the process of buying a vacuum sealer for them now.

I might come by tomorrow to signup. I'll try to bottle a few bottles of the english IPAs I got.

(still not sure if I'm at ESB or EIPA category... lol)

I might come by tomorrow to signup. I'll try to bottle a few bottles of the english IPAs I got.

(still not sure if I'm at ESB or EIPA category... lol)

Definately sign up, I know he's limiting to the number of people who can attend.

I work Sunday, but there will be another guy named Chris there tomorrow. Funny thing, I've never met him.

:drunk:

if I'm bringing someone do I sign them up or is there like a guest box?

I've met this guy who only works friday, he seems like an interesting guy/ not sure it's him though. for all I know you're the guy I met. when do you usually work? just sundays?

Nice, we'll be there for a week over thanksgiving visiting family, good to know there's some tasty beer in the area now. :)

I am not too proud of my homebrew but I like it. I am just very very scared that people won't like it. since most of my friends are BMC drinkers, they tend to not like anything except me and my brewbuddy

if I'm bringing someone do I sign them up or is there like a guest box?

I've met this guy who only works friday, he seems like an interesting guy/ not sure it's him though. for all I know you're the guy I met. when do you usually work? just sundays?

Eh, I would just sign yourself up. It's definately not strict up there.

Yeah, the guy who only works Friday is the other Chris. I alternate Saturdays and Sundays. I posted a picture of me on the first page of this thread.

oh yeah! I definitely have not met you yet, but lookin forward to it.

I may bring a couple of friends, though I'm not sure.

I am not too proud of my homebrew but I like it. I am just very very scared that people won't like it. since most of my friends are BMC drinkers, they tend to not like anything except me and my brewbuddy

Hey man, don't worry about it. To be honest I probably won't have mind blowing beer up there either. And if it sucks, we've learned how to smile our way through it. ;)

hahaha.

to my defense, I'm still on extract (have the equipment for all grain, just have to use up my ingredients that I stocked up on) and I just ogt a pot big enoug hto do a full boil. so I'm on extract with partial boils and late extract.

Im just trying to save myself I guess.

hahaha.

to my defense, I'm still on extract (have the equipment for all grain, just have to use up my ingredients that I stocked up on) and I just ogt a pot big enoug hto do a full boil. so I'm on extract with partial boils and late extract.

Im just trying to save myself I guess.

Nothing wrong with extract, my friend. I've had some really good extract beers. AG will be a lot easier once you see somebody do it. I shelled out 20 bucks for a DVD just so I could watch it be done. There's nothing to it.

BTW: Basic Brewing: Introduction to All Grain DVD for sale - $30.

:D

I'm hoping this free class will help me a little bit.

I've seen videos and done research. I'm ready to give it a whirl. but I still have like.. 2 or 3 brews to brew before I can do my AG. if not I will always put these others beers back

anybody here want to split a bulk grain purchase? say 55 lbs of 2 row and 55 pounds of vienna/maris otter.

I don't have any particular grain in mind I Just want don't need/have storage spacefor like 3-4 types of grains at 55 lbs each

that ain't too bad! damn. too bad I Have no where to store grains atm. I'm trying to move things in my closet at the moment. I have a 5 gallon brewpot, and 8 gallon brewpot, about 30 lbs of DME, a dresser with brewing stuff, 4 carboys, a 10 gallon rubbermaid.

oh yeah.. and my clothes too

so once I figure out what to do with my closet and use up the DME, I will be over to get some grains!

that ain't too bad! damn. too bad I Have no where to store grains atm. I'm trying to move things in my closet at the moment. I have a 5 gallon brewpot, and 8 gallon brewpot, about 30 lbs of DME, a dresser with brewing stuff, 4 carboys, a 10 gallon rubbermaid.

oh yeah.. and my clothes too

so once I figure out what to do with my closet and use up the DME, I will be over to get some grains!

Just let us know when you if you ever want some ahead of time. We've had some crazy weeks and keep having to restock the whole shop every weekend. Just got some hops in, expecting more. Got in the new Citra Hop. I think we only have two pounds of it. He's also lowering hop prices.

ah ok. well I just stocked up on hops from hopsdirect but I may swing by from time to time for some types.

I shouldn't need any grain till at least november..

class was pretty fun. thanks for having me over! I figure maybe next time I'll talk more.

btw that SMaSH was pretty delicious I thought.

class was pretty fun. thanks for having me over! I figure maybe next time I'll talk more.

btw that SMaSH was pretty delicious I thought.

****, which guy were you? you should've told me who you were, unless you were spying on me.

Yeah, sucks that I only had maybe two pints of the SMaSH left, I need to brew it again.

Was across the creek fishing.

Nah just kidding I was the dude with shirt black hair. Kinda quiet but not the super quiet guy

I don't know it didn't really occur to me who you were until a good while in

and I ddnt wanna be like oh yeah even
though we've all been hanging for 2 hours I'm such and such

Anyone interested in planning a beer-swap for us Gainesville folks? I've got a couple brews that I'm proud enough to share and I'd love to see what you guys have going. Chris's Munich Smash was pretty damn tasty as I recall!

I do have 3 beers in kegs right now. one is nearly tapped (hefe) one is still too young plus I don't really think it's gonna turn out so great (English IPA) and a blonde that for some reason is too sweet. I just kegged yesterday so maybe the carbonation will offset that.

with all that said, I am bottling the irish red in about a week or so.

we could always have a brewday or something. I don't have a burner yet though, still on stovetop. I'm gonna try to score a burner after thanksgiving for under 20 bucks.

Yeah no burner for me yet, but its on my list. I do pretty well with split boils on my stove top, but I'd love to be able to brew outside in just one pot. And I just ran into a dude who works at the FedEx store who mentioned just brewing an Irish Red. Was that you?

A joint brew day would be great. The guy that taught me to brew only does extract. It would be cool to see what I've been f*cking up this whole time.

Was across the creek fishing.

Well if you knew what the FG of that creek was like I do, you wouldn't eat anything out of there.

i'd be down for a brew day or beer swap or both. I just kegged my Centennial/Vienna SMaSH tonight and should be kegging my Graff next week.

You guys need burners. Someone posted some links about a week ago to Amazon.com with burners for under 30 bucks with free shipping. Almost picked one up myself. Unless you guys know someone with two stoves and I can bring my burner inside. :D

Also, Barron dropped the hop prices. The new harvest hops are $1.99 an ounce and last years are even cheaper. I'm excited to try the new Citra hop.

Once everyone feels that they have beers that they want to share (me included) we should just meet up at the shop or ya'll can come over to my place and we can sit and shoot ****.

I don't know it didn't really occur to me who you were until a good while in

and I ddnt wanna be like oh yeah even
though we've all been hanging for 2 hours I'm such and such

Ha, well the guy in the blue shirt (Ed) is a member here also. His name is Idgenius2000 or something like that. I could be completely wrong with that screen name though. I've had cotton mouth all night and can't seem to drink enough beer to make it go away. :tank: And in case you guessed me wrong I was the kid in the wife beater. I do apologize for the wife beater, I just couldn't take the heat like that all day. Now if you could only see this gnarly tan line I have.

Yeah, the quiet guy in the jeans was .... quiet. I told him about the class one day and he was really talkative. He showed up and I gave a big enthusiastic greeting, he just kind of looked at me and walked by. pwned.

I'm gonna stop replying to this thread for the rest of the night. I think I've posted like 4 times without anyone replying.

I agree. I am down to just chill and share beers.

and no I was not the Fedex guy. haha.

I can't find the amazon burner. I found one for 30 shipped but I may have found a better deal elsewhere. time will tell.

as far as new hops go, I'm excited for the price drop! 3 dollars an oz was killing me. I stocked up with a lb of: magnum 08, cascade leaf 09, fuggles uk 08, and hallertau gr 08 so if anyone wants to do a hop swap or anything I got a little over a pound of each foodsaved in my keezer.

by the way, I need to get around to making my pvc tap tower build. I have 4 perlicks waiting.

once my primaries open up a bit (I'm thinking after my plans it'll be late october) I'll brew my first AG

Anybody free on Monday evening? Like 6pm? That'll give me time to get home from work, grab some cold beers and head out the door to wherever.

I got nothing good atm. I am definitely down to wait till the following monday that works for me. or we can do both?

Well, my girlfriends engine kicked the bucket today so we won't be going out of town. Goodbye Octoberfest and Sweetwater Brewery. So I'll be at work Sunday and I'm down for hanging out this Monday night if everyone wants to get together. We can chill over at my place no problem. Or we can wait, or we could do both.

Might be the first unofficial Motley Brew meeting. :tank:

Back