apfelwein bottle carbed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodif

Reaction score
So I bottled my apfelwein everything went fine. I planned on carbing half the batch and still the other. I added 1/3 cup to half batch and bottled. After i bottled i realized i didn't dissolve the sugar by boiling. Its been about a month and no carbonation yet.

Should I mess with them at all or will they carb eventually?

Shake 'em up and expose them to reasonably warm temperatures (70s-mid 80s). If after another three weeks you don't see any carbonation, you'll probably need to re-pitch some yeast into the bottles.

This brought up something I've been wondering about, if Apfelwein is say 99.99% clear, sitting for 2+ months, & was transferred from the middle of the carboy (no where near the sediment) to carbonate the first half, would there be enough suspended yeast to properly carbonate in "X" amount of 12oz bottles? Would it be safer to add say 1/4 packet of fresh yeast? Or maybe transfer a bit of the sediment into the bottling bucket?
I have carbonated beer without a hitch but never tried wine. Any thoughts?

There's still going to be enough yeast to carb up your batch. 2-3 months shouldn't have too much of an impact on the number of yeast cells available. Although you didn't transfer the sediment from the bottom, there are still tons of yeast cells pretty much invisible for your to see right now in suspension.

I was just wondering... Can I take apfelwien (more or less) that I bottled up still in wine bottles about 6 months ago and carb ir now into beer bottles. I find that I like the carbed stuff a little better. Would I need to add some yeast as well as the sugar for carbing? Or is it too late to change now?

thanks,

gus

Latest posts

Back