How/when to add stuff to my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mathblasta

Reaction score
Topic title says it all: how do I go about adding stuff to my beer? Do I just toss orange peels in at the same time I pitch the yeast? Is there something I need to do to the hypothetical orange peels before I throw them in so they don't contaminate my beer, or is it all good? Etc.

I was wondering the same thing. Had a peach wheat beer at the local brewpub and thought of trying to clone it. Sorry about hijacking your thread, but it's a great question.

Its far too complex a question for one thread. The search would be better or individual threads. Every addition is different in timing and sanitation. Also depends on recipe.

Remember to just use the colored part of the citrus,that's the zest. The white part is pith & bitter. Pulp from fruits for that sort of addition.

Citrus zest is too volatile to just toss in the Fermentor. All of those Yummy aromas will be lost as co2 escapes the fermenter. What I do to get those flavors is make a nice concoction of zest and vodka (maybe a shot or 2 depending on how much zest). Cover your concoction with a lid (tupperware) and let it sit for a day or 2 in the fridge. When I keg or bottle the brew, I toss all of the concoction in the beer and give it a gently stir to mix it evenly then bottle/keg.

Be careful with the amounts. Zest can go overboard easily.

Citrus zest is too volatile to just toss in the Fermentor. All of those Yummy aromas will be lost as co2 escapes the fermenter. What I do to get those flavors is make a nice concoction of zest and vodka (maybe a shot or 2 depending on how much zest). Cover your concoction with a lid (tupperware) and let it sit for a day or 2 in the fridge. When I keg or bottle the brew, I toss all of the concoction in the beer and give it a gently stir to mix it evenly then bottle/keg.

Be careful with the amounts. Zest can go overboard easily.

You just grate the peel and let it sit in wodka? How does the wodka affect the brew you're making, or is it negligible (re: taste and abv)?

How much zest would you say you use, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/2 cup? And how much wodka?

Let's say I'm bottle conditioning, do I add the zest mix to the bottle bucket at the same time I add my priming sugar?

Sorry for the rapidfire questions, it's something I'm really curious about! :tank:

You just grate the peel and let it sit in wodka? How does the wodka affect the brew you're making, or is it negligible (re: taste and abv)?

Yes. The amount of vodka compared to beer will make the vodka negligible when only using an ounce or two

How much zest would you say you use, 1 tsp, 1 tbsp, 1/2 cup? And how much wodka?

Start out small and experiment. Depends on what style your shooting for. Do you want sweet undertones of orange or a powerful blast in you nostrils? I'd start with the zest from half to a whole orange (medium to large orange) and go from there. Remember, even if you don't notice the orange you will still have an awesome beer, but if the orange is overpowering chances are the beer wont taste so good anymore, so play around with small quantities first.

Let's say I'm bottle conditioning, do I add the zest mix to the bottle bucket at the same time I add my priming sugar?

This I'm not too sure about. I've been kegging since day one so maybe somebody else can chime in here. Maybe add it a day or so before bottling? Not sure how it would affect the amount of priming sugar you will need either since the vodka could potentially kill some of the yeast, but the alcohol is necessary to extract the aromas from the zest, most of those flavors will be in the vodka itself so you wouldnt want to dump it out and throw in the zest...

Sorry for the rapidfire questions, it's something I'm really curious about! :tank:

Not a problem, happy to help, good luck!

Back