Fruity wy2206 Bavarian Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbx

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced anything fruity from wy2206 Bavarian Lager? We fermented a Munich Dunkel and a Baltic Porter using 2206 fermented at 9C/48F (ambient room temp) for about 3 weeks and then a week at 20C/68F. Both have a grape-y red wine sort of taste to them. Has anyone had this before? Is this something that will lager out? Anyone have any success with this yeast?

I use munich lager which is really really close (munich is in barvaria) so the both come from same region originally, but I've had beer that really worried me when I first tried it and after lagering it really smooths out and changes,
What was ur recipe
I use 99% weyerman dark munich and 1% cara special lll debittered
This gives the good rich maltiness with the chocolately but not bitter roasty flavor

my recipes were a bit unorthodox due to what i had available. The dunkel had 6# canadian pilsner, 5# canadian dark munich, 4oz c75, 4oz chocolate malt and perle hops. We did this last year using bohemian lager and it turned out awesome. The baltic porter was essentially a huge brown porter done saaz hops and lager yeast - 23# esb malt, 2#brown malt, 1# C120, 5oz chocolate, 4oz roast barley. I just bought some carafa sp II and a sack of weyermann pilsner so the next ones will be more to style.

I'm more concerned about the yeast than the recipe. The only other lager yeast I have experience with is 2124 Bohemian which was a completely different yeast - very sulphury when fermenting and before lagering. the Bavarian smelled like bread when fermenting and has a fruity red wine taste. Does anybody use this yeast? I'm planning on brewing using 100% weyermann pilsner during the holiday and trying to decide to repitch the bavarian or buy a pack of 2124 Bohemian.

Latest posts

Back