Blew it on the starter - now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I wanted to do a starter for my AH Belgian so last night I boiled my water cooled it pitched the yeast & some yeast food. Yeah, you guessed it, I never put any DME in with the water.

This not really a starter has sat over night doing nothing of course. The not starter has been at about 69 degrees all night (range for WLP550 is 68 to 78). What should I do - create a "thick" batch of DME and pour in the yeast? Pitch it like it is? Go buy more?

I have a friened coming over to brew with me today and we should be pitching later this afternoon. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

It should be fine. Make another starter and pour the yeast in. If you don't have enough room, you can split into two smaller batches.

Boiling up a "thick" batch of dme sounds like a good plan. Just calculate how much you would need in the original amount of water plus the amount you will be boiling the dme with and use that. Then dump it in the yeast water. You could always delay pitching until it looks like it's built up some.

Thanks all!

Before anyone has to ask, yes, beer was involved :D
this is Beer Week in San Diego and I was out sampling some of the local brews (had a Pliney on draft:rockin:)

Latest posts

Back