What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406338658.068032.jpg
Excellent use of Citra

Did you at least stop in at Trailhead and get a decent beer? I Used to work for city of St Charles, still have friends who work at the county there. They told me about that place...and to avoid it.

I'm working my way thru these east coast IPAs.
I like the flavor on this one, but not sure where the CO2 went...
View attachment 213517

It was only morbid curiosity that made me go in. There's a place on Kingshighway in St. Charles I usually go. The owner took a normal liquor store and converted it to 80% craft beers.

I was just at Trailhead a few weeks ago. They have a saison right now that's pretty decent.

Starting Friday night off with a straight up Tepache from my third batch. SWMBO just got home...late. Asked me what I did all day. I HATE that. And however long the list I rattle off, it's never enough. I can hardly wait for the stuff I just put in the fridge to chill.

Oh...and my one and only (and first attempt to grow) cascade hops bine. Really took off! I was expecting a strong scent, though. Nothing like the pellets...barely a scent at all.

That first part drives me insane....

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406340125.531551.jpg
Scraping paint so I can prime my windows tomorrow. Stuff like this makes me glad I went to college.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

New bottle of coconut rum. Tapped. Sitting outside in complete darkness. I'll wake up with 10+ mosquito bites but it will be worth it.

Oh...and my one and only (and first attempt to grow) cascade hops bine. Really took off! I was expecting a strong scent, though. Nothing like the pellets...barely a scent at all.

You need to rip the hop open and look inside, or rub them between your hands to get the scent. If you don't have yellow/orangish pollen looking stuff all over, they aren't ready yet.

Your post made me check my centennial hops, which aren't ready.
Hard to see in this photo, but there are little yellow circles of hoppy goodness in the middle.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406340500.065571.jpg

And never to waste anything, throw them in a blonde or similarly non hopped beer and get an idea of what you can expect when they are ready
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406340688.038378.jpg

Would Remmy's head explode if I said I prefer Sea Hag to Ghandi-Bot?

View attachment 213529

I knew you had a thing for my mom! brbrbbrbrbrbrwahhhahahahhahaha!!!!

on to Surly Smoke with a huge thanks to sompls on that one! bruva, thanks again! I say you check over at UPS. it's gotta be somewhere. if you don't find it, I'll re-send with a bottle of my port.

Drakes Aroma Coma. Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Chinook, Citra, El Dorado, Cascade and Amarillo. Released once a year. This stuff is great. Amazing clarity too. Super fresh and tasty. Another great West Coast IPA.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406342883.822326.jpg

Drakes Aroma Coma. Now that's what I'm talking about!!! Chinook, Citra, El Dorado, Cascade and Amarillo. Released once a year. This stuff is great. Amazing clarity too. Super fresh and tasty. Another great West Coast IPA.

View attachment 213533

Next time I'm in L.A. visiting my in laws I need to look up some beer. I never get a chance to always overly busy like need a rest from your vacation busy. Next time I'm taking some me time and going to Stone world bistro and looking for west coast beer to pack for the trip home.

View attachment 213533

Hopefully going to be there in the beginning of december. Cant wait!

Having this

Attachments

• 1406345288450.jpg
    1406345288450.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 60
Was considering cracking open the Uncle Jacobs given to me by the super generous mhurst111, but I decided to finish the bottle of malbec we opened with dinner. Had steak with rice and beans.

Came across this while surfing the Web. Anybody brewing BIG Beers might enjoy it or find it completely nuts...you decide.

http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/01/if-pliny-younger-and-120-minute-had.html?m=1

I'd hold the uncle Jacob for another couple months. I tried one a couple months ago and it was still pretty hot.

Kannah creek amber, meh...glad I only have 1 more of these.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406346271.102240.jpg

I'd hold the uncle Jacob for another couple months. I tried one a couple months ago and it was still pretty hot.

Kannah creek amber, meh...glad I only have 1 more of these.
View attachment 213543

Exactly what I thought. I had to control my excitement when I saw it. Kinda like giving a kid a Christmas present and telling them not to open it till March. It's only been hours and already feels like months.

Exactly what I thought. I had to control my excitement when I saw it. Kinda like giving a kid a Christmas present and telling them not to open it till March. It's only been hours and already feels like months.

I felt the same way when Mike sent one with my EMAW last week. I can't wait to try it!

I love uncle jacobs. Wish i can get more of it. Got a batch 1. Amazing. Need a solid line for jacobs

You need to rip the hop open and look inside, or rub them between your hands to get the scent. If you don't have yellow/orangish pollen looking stuff all over, they aren't ready yet.

Your post made me check my centennial hops, which aren't ready.
Hard to see in this photo, but there are little yellow circles of hoppy goodness in the middle.
View attachment 213522

And never to waste anything, throw them in a blonde or similarly non hopped beer and get an idea of what you can expect when they are ready
View attachment 213525

Awesome! Thanks for the information...very helpful!!!
Having a Summer Brew after going through the steps of creating my first yeast starter with harvested (hopefully) Belle Saison yeast. Should be bottling Hi-Nelson Saison w/ Hibiscus on Sunday. May be brewing a Citra Saison Sunday or Monday, if this yeast harvesting/starter thing works on the first try!

Attachments

• DSC05120.jpg
    DSC05120.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC05117.jpg
    DSC05117.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 59
mhurst111 I had a hop I pulled a couple of days ago...it was a little early, I think, but I did let it dry and I just busted it up and rolled it around a bit in the fingers and I did get just a little scent. Something vaguely familiar about doing that ;o) Anyway, added it to an Appalachian Purist Pale Ale that I needed to push my way through...not a great beer, Malty and then bitter in a not good way. So, I may be picking green out of my teeth for awhile, but amazingly, the bitterness came waaaay down and this beer is actually drinkable. I don't know why the Cascade bits had this affect, because I'm not getting s lot of hops, but the malt came up a little and the bitterness fell off. Amazing.

DSC05121.jpg

DSC05122.jpg

Back