Irish Ale Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanzerBanana

Reaction score
Well my latest beer is happily fermenting away. However, I was just wondering how Irish Ale Yeast goes about it's business. What I'm using is from White Labs.

I brewed on Friday. The yeast isn't working quite as furiously a what I've used in the past. Which has been Safeale's English Ale Yeast.

So I was just curious if Irish Ale(or liquid yeasts) take a bit longer to really get going, or if Irish Ale yeast is more of a slow and steady yeast?

I'm using a blowoff hose and it's bubbling away quite steadily. I'm pretty sure it's doing it's thing just fine, since I managed to not screw up my first starter culture.

I just used Wyeast's Irish Ale on a stout. It never bubbled furiously, just nice and steady for about 4 days. OG was about 1.044, so not exactly a ton of fermentables lying around to chew on. It's been 8 days, gravity is about 1.014, looks kinda quiet, but I'm gonna let it sit until next weekend.

Just did the wyeast Irish on a maris otter/vienna malt grain bill. Was visibly fermenting within a day at 65 degrees. Not a superexplosive fermentation, but steady as she goes. went about 4 days. Final gravity was 1.011. Yeast did not want to drop out very well though - but when I cold crashed and put some geletin in it and cleared it right up. Drinking it right now and it is quite smooth.

I guess it just depends.

I made a 4 liter yeast starter from 5 month old 2nd generation Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale. I did not get around to brewing so my starter sat in the fridge for 10 days before I was able to brew. Twelve hours after pitching my 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon fermenter it was bubbling out of the airlock and I had to switch to a blowoff tube.

Seven days later it is now bubbling once per minute.

Ok, seems likes it's a slow and steady yeast for the most part. Thanks all! :D

It might be a bit slower also because I didn't use as much malt as my previous beers, or honey. I wanted mostly a good sippin beer out of this one.

Back