61% percent efficiency without sparge ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walther

Reaction score
That is good enough isn't it ?

Or am calculating it wrong ?

I use grain from Warminster:

4Kg / 8.8lbs Mild Ale Malt
500g / 1.1lbs Crystal Malt
300g / 0.7lbs High Crystal Malt
300g / 0.7lbs Chocolate Malt

OG = 1.051 (post boil)
Volume = 19L / 4.94 US gallon (post boil)

Thank you, (Fuller London Porter, btw)
walther

Yes, it's good enough and very good for a no-sparge method if that's what you actually did. Don't worry about efficiency. It's not that big of a deal. If you hit your desired OG you're good to go. I only get about 72% on my mid-range gravity beers, but it's an honest 72%.

Hi,

Thank you for the replies,

The reason I do not sparge is because it would require more equipment, and take longer time (both could be argued as being good things, I know :) ).
I add all the water from the beginning (EndVolume+BoilOff+DeadSpace+GrainAbsorb=25L), and circulate it through a large sieve during the mash, and end up with 19L. Very easy, and fairly efficient.

Thank you,
walther

You have some very HIGH quality wort there. First wort, is the best wort... the longer you sparge, the more undesireable stuff comes from the grain.

Efficiency is nothing more than a number. If you want to use LESS grain to reach the same OG, then worry about eff. If you dont care, do what you like, but remember, no sparge will give you GREAT wort! Low PH, high sugar content and no nasty tannins.

Good job.

Back