What should I do with this batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude123

Reaction score
I made a Pale Ale and it is infected with something. It tastes like plastic or medicine. It has big clumps of white stuff floating in the carboy. My question is if I let this keep going will I get wild yeast? Are the clumps wild yeast? Should I just dump the batch and forget about it? The batch has already been fermenting for 11 days and still has clumps of stuff floating.

Any pictures? May not be an infection.. Could be clumps of yeast or possibly mold along the surface. Moldy batches can be saved by simply racking your batch from under the mold across the top. Pics will help us determine if it's infected or not... Don't toss the batch yet!

I am fairly certain it is mold. I am going to try the racking method that you said and see how it tastes tomorrow.

Sounds good! For the most part, you really shouldn't have to dump a batch unless it is truely infected. Most cases turn out not to be infections...

Ya it was truely infected. The entire batch smelled like vinegar and when I moved it around there were clumps the size of golf balls in it. Oh well live and learn.

Latest posts

Back