Detroit Beer Scene

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeirvine

Reaction score
I just seen the Chicago thread and thought I'd ask about the Detroit/Flint/Port Huron area.

I live in the U.P. but I have an internship starting Monday in Lapeer, MI. Lapeer is kind of in the middle of these places, east of Flint, West of Port Huron, North of Detroit. I think all of them are about 20-30min away. Preferably I'd like to know most about the Detroit area because I have friends down there and won't have to drive home, and I prefer to stay out of Flint....

Anyways any recomendations for good brewpubs/micros to check out while I'm in these areas? I only have 48 Irish Reds and 60 Hefe's I'm bringing down with me and between my Uncle and I, I don't think they will last too long. I'm going to brew a stout while I'm there but most likely I'll be taking home while it is still bottle conditioning, so any recomendations on places to get some good beer would be great.

you name it. there are about 20 breweries around where youll be. detroit is loaded with micros, downtown and just outside downtown.......any on the LIST

Oh wow. I know what I'll be doing every weekend for the next 8 weeks. I'm pretty pumped Pontiac has one, I'll probably be able to make that one during week days.

Thanks for the help.

Also,
Probably just in the last year or so, it's becoming more and more common for local bars to carry at least one of something from Bells, Founders, Dragonmead, or Detroit Brewing Co.

I remember a few months ago being stunned when I sat down at the bar at my local BW3 and they had Two-Hearted on tap!
Now I'm surprised when I don't find a bar with something local on tap. Even then, they probably have something from Rogue, Dogfish Head, or Sierra Nevada. Any of which I will take every time over a BMC. :mug:

It's a lot farther than 20-30 minutes from Lapeer to Detroit.
And Dragonmead is awesome.

_

Kuhnhenn and Sherwood are close by your place and worth checking out.

I can personally vouch for Royal Oak Brewery(a very fun little town, tons of bars and food), The Great Baraboo(sic?) (they have fantastic food), and Dragonmead (really good beer). I'd love to visit all of them again sometime. Enjoy!

Actually, Bell's would be a bit of a haul from Lapeer, but it would be well worth the time if you have a spare weekend to drive to Kalamazoo. Great food there too, and you can hang out in the beer garden amongst the hops. If you drive that far, make sure you stop in to the Old Peninsula a couple of blocks away from Bells, and the Arcadia in Battle Creek on your way back. Take a DD!!!

Back to the east side of the state, although not a brew pub, you would be just up the road a bit from The Union in Clarkston, which is a must do beer bar with a selection from around the world. 40 taps, I think, and at least that many bottles. Food is awesome too! They are about a mile off I-75, exit 91.

joeirvine said:
I just seen the Chicago thread and thought I'd ask about the Detroit/Flint/Port Huron area.

I live in the U.P. but I have an internship starting Monday in Lapeer, MI. Lapeer is kind of in the middle of these places, east of Flint, West of Port Huron, North of Detroit. I think all of them are about 20-30min away. Preferably I'd like to know most about the Detroit area because I have friends down there and won't have to drive home, and I prefer to stay out of Flint....

Anyways any recomendations for good brewpubs/micros to check out while I'm in these areas? I only have 48 Irish Reds and 60 Hefe's I'm bringing down with me and between my Uncle and I, I don't think they will last too long. I'm going to brew a stout while I'm there but most likely I'll be taking home while it is still bottle conditioning, so any recomendations on places to get some good beer would be great.

Where's your internship in lapeer I'm in lapeer

Back