SG: 1.015, Pilsner. Too Early for Diacetyl Rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Just sampled my pilsner. OG was 1.045. Gravity right now is at or around 1.018. Is this too early for a diacetyl rest? Should I let it get lower before raising the temperature?

I am hoping for a FG of 1.008 (or at least something under 10).

I am using Saflager -23. It has been fermenting between 54 adn 58 degrees since last Saturday (4 full days).

Giddyap!:ban:

So, let me get this straight. I should take it out of the water/ice bath I have had it in. At that point, it will slowly raise in temp to room temp, which has been around 68. This will finish the fermentation completely over the next few days. At that point, I should slowly lower the temperature to near freezing and lager for about 4 weeks.

Sound about right?

TBH, I have very limited experience with lagers but that's what I did with good results. I would say finish fermentation and then transfer to secondary and slowly lower the temperature to lagering temps.

I believe the Kaiser has a slightly different procedure and significantly more experience with lagers than I (as do Mikey and several others), so you might ping them, as well.

Mikey said:
Sounds like you've got it spot on to me!

Cool! Thanx.

Another question, though . . . about this business of dropping temperature slowly after diacetyl rest. Why do it?

Now, if I were bottle conditioning this beer, I understand that the health of my yeast continues to be important so that I can get some good bottle conditioning, etc. However, if I am force carbing the beer in a keg, is there any reason why I could not "crash" the beer in my lagering facility (i.e. kegfridge)? After all, fermentation is done, diacetyl should be gone, etc. I don't require the assistance of yeast any longer.

So, are there other reasons for lowering temps slowly other than yeast health?

Back