is the mesh too fine???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
I have a nylon strainer bag made for a 6.5 gallon bucket to strain paint. It is exactly like any other grain bag I have seen except it has elastic around the top to grip the top of the bucket and the mesh is really fine. Most of the grain bags I have seen are either medium or coarse mesh. I want to basically use it as a BIAB would that be okay or do I need to get a bag that has a more course mesh? The nylon paint bag I have is brand new and cost less than 4 bucks from home depot for two of them. Any input would be helpful. THANX!:mug:

I have a couple of those that I purchased at a HB store MANY years ago.

I use them to catch my wort and to strain the hops out.

With the added water weight I REALLY recommend you use 6-8 spring-type clothes pins to hold them in place. Once you have a full one drop into the wort and splash the ceiling you'll know why.

You may also need to softly scrape your paddle along the bottom to get the wort to flow through. Once I get the hops dry I sparge them with cold water.

Awesome! I wasnt sure if that mesh would be so fine that it would not let the "good stuff" through. Cant wait to use it on my next batch!!!:mug:

Similar question, so I decided to hijack this instead of starting a new one.

I'm going to be brewing with some quinoa and amaranth, which I will be pulverizing. I'm doing this mainly because I don't own a grinder and also to improve the efficency of these grains. My grain bags aren't fine enough, so can I use a muslim bag or would that be too fine?

Muslin bags are acually not very fine at all. They are cheap and if you are doing more than 3 pounds of grain I would recommend spliting it up between a couple of bags

Back