need help with numbers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewHerc

Reaction score
Hey Y'all,
I'm a fairly new brewer and did Edworts Haus Ale. Here's what I had to do with the recipe due to boil kettle size restrictions.

4 lb 2-row
2 lb vienna
.5 lb crystal 10L
1 ounce cascade at 60
.5 at 30
.25 at 15
.25 at 5
4 lb liquid malt extract at 15 min till flameout.

At 70 degrees the OG was 1.060.

If I remember correctly, the recipes OG should be 1.050.

I wound up with a 6 gallon batch, only 1/2 gallon evaporated. This also gives me concerns about the krausen coming out of the airlock.

Could y'all teach me how to calculate efficiency, attenuation, etc..?

BrewHerc

First things first, keep your fermentation temps low...mid - low sixties. Depending on how far you are from the top of the fermenter, I feel it is a matter of when she is gonna blow, not if. I don't feel a stopper and airlock is a good idea at all, sometimes the lock can clog, and you have a 6 gal. brew bomb.

You can either make an ample size blowoff tube, or if you are lazy like me, set the fermenter in a large tub and cover the top w/ aluminun foil. After a day or two rinse the outside of the ferrmenter clean, sanitize the opening and airlock it.

I thankful that my basement stays at 62 degrees, That might help. I can calculate efficiency if it were just grains. The LME is what I'm not sure about as far as the efficiency numbers.

Back