Pin lock or Ball lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting into kegging my homebrew and I would like opinions on which type of keg system to use,pin lock or ball lock?:mug:

The biggest practical difference I think is that the pin locks are a bit wider which can make a big difference sometimes on how many you can fit in a particular fridge.

An advantage to pin locks is that you cannot put the wrong disconnect on the wrong post (I've only done it once on a ball lock but some people are more accident prone and they are a pain to get off if you do it).

Generally ball locks are more available, but this is highly regional.

So my advice is this: Be aware of the size difference. Buy what seems more available and is cheaper in your neck of the woods and its really not that bad to use a mix if you have flare fittings on everything.

The biggest practical difference I think is that the pin locks are a bit wider which can make a big difference sometimes on how many you can fit in a particular fridge.

And to add to this, conversly, the Ball locks are taller which may or may not impact whether or not they'll fit that way too.

Back