Franziskaner yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powchekny

Reaction score
I recently had my first bottle of Franziskaner Hefe Weisse at a local German deli. I was amazed at how tasty it was with a ham and swiss sandwich. Never thought I'd like a wheat beer, but here we are :) Anyway, I'd like to try and brew a batch of hefe weisse myself. Does anyone know if it's feasible for me try and attempt a yeast starter from the yeast I could get from one of my bottles of Franziskaner?

You could do that, Or you could just get one of the many German Wheat yeasts that are available. Like Wyeast 3333, 3068, or the White labs versions.

They will all impart the same banana/clove flavor.

Unfortunately, harvesting the yeast from Franziskaner bottles won't work out the way you are probably hoping. As I understand it, they bottle condition with a lager strain of yeast rather than the hefe weizen yeast they use to do the primary fermentation. Wyeast 3068 (if I remember correctly) is the strain you are looking for. I've used it a couple of times and have been more than happy with it.

Ah, ok... good info there. I guess my plans of dumping a bottle of Hefe Weiss in the wort as my starter no longer make any sense :)

thanks much for the advice.

Back