Foundation Brewing Epiphany Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, on that page from BYO, for the partial mash recipe, it says "Remove the grain bag and wash with 2 qts (2 L) hot water." I don't understand this. Are they saying to rinse off the grain bag in a separate volume of water, and the resulting water to be used for topping off? I've always thought you were supposed to pull a grain bag and just get rid of it, never squeezing it.

So, on that page from BYO, for the partial mash recipe, it says "Remove the grain bag and wash with 2 qts (2 L) hot water." I don't understand this. Are they saying to rinse off the grain bag in a separate volume of water, and the resulting water to be used for topping off? I've always thought you were supposed to pull a grain bag and just get rid of it, never squeezing it.

Like blkmagik98 said it's a partial mash so your interpretation is correct.

I think many here would agree that "not squeezing the bag" is one of those homebrewing "rules" that can be safely ignored. Many BIAB brewer's enthusiastically squeeze their bags without issue :D

I made a 5 gallon batch using the partial mash recipe in BYO, and just started drinking it this past weekend. It's pretty darned awesome I have to say, and it has the best hop aroma of anything that I've brewed over the last two years and I've done a lot of IPA's.

I tried this receipe and it didn't come out like Epiphany at all, but it was still really good. I didn't have a temp controller to do the whirlpool addition and keep it at 180. I just added that last hop stand and let it cool down naturally for 25 minutes. Not Epiphany but still really good

I made a 5 gallon batch using the partial mash recipe in BYO, and just started drinking it this past weekend. It's pretty darned awesome I have to say, and it has the best hop aroma of anything that I've brewed over the last two years and I've done a lot of IPA's.

Please share the recipe and methods you used for this process! Thank you

Latest posts

Back