Apple wine fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeke8402

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just started my first batch of wine according to Edwort's apple wine recipe on this forum. I did everything to his specifications, so I'm confident nothing was overlooked. However, I am a bit worried about the bubbling. Because I haven't seen any pictures between beginning and ending, I am a bit concerned that mine is bubbling too much.

The picture below is just 15 hours after i sealed it:
ezo3sz.jpg

Is this too much? Should I be worried? I'm sure you guys get tons of questions like this but I'm not sure where else to ask.

D'oh, misread. Thought you said it wasn't bubbling - that looks very close to being a big mess.

What type of apple juice did you use? store bought or fresh pressed? I found my first batch of apfelwein that I used store bought juice didn't do much and just bubbled away. The fresh pressed apple juice was bubbling out the airlock and over my walls!

I left the same space in both similar to edwort's pictures. Looks like you'll need to take a bit out. Take a look at the picture in edwort's apfelwein post for an idea on space.

I filled it like halfway up the tube (whatever it's called), this is in my closet, should I remove it? Everyone says it's close to being a mess, is that just saying I'm just short of a huge disaster, or is that more of a hint that I should remove this before it explodes?

There is no head space? You are going to have a HUGE mess. Take the cap off, drain a tiny bit off, swap out the airlock for a blowoff give. It is going to get messy, and it is going to get messy fast. You might also want to put it in a bathtub or something too.

I don't know what a blowoff give is. But I guess I will drain it until it looks like it's in the picture then reapply the airlock, is that a good enough solution?

Thanks BearPusher. I just emptied it and now it's like how Edwort has it in his pictures.

Thanks guys! You really saved me a lot of trouble.

Thanks BearPusher. I just took out a bit, and now its filled similar to Edwort's pictures, I resanitized the airlock and hopefully it'll be smooth sailing from here.

And thanks to everyone else, you guys definitely saved me from a very bad situation :)

Back