What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transferred to secondary for the dry hop (the only time I secondary, mind you). Everything looks and smells delicious. I also saved some yeast/trub for later.

Currently watching my boil on a Saint Arnold Amber clone. A combination of questionable crush and terrible measurement of water means I'm watching this thing boil a lot longer than I anticipated. But I finally hit my pH, so at least I got that going for me...something peaceful about hearing boiling wort and having a nice beer alone late at night. I love late night brewing.

Advantages to working from home. The things you can do during lunch. Four liter starter going on the stove.

Starter 1469.jpg

Going to gather my grain bill to get it ground, begin my starter and plan for a relaxing brew day Sunday. May bottle tomorrow also.

Had to drink a couple bottles of Jester King Farmhouse beer... a real chore [emoji6]

Had to put in a new kitchen faucet. Dang older one-lever type is a fistfull of leaks waiting to happen. Cheap Moens no more! took since Thursday to get the old one out, especially with the three tubes going into the center hole, rather than left & right with the knob type. Bought a Delta spotless-stainless steel one with the typical hot-cold levers & the tall, curved faucet made for clearing tall kettles. Gotta sneak in a little brewing-friendly hardware where I can...then beers & French bread pizzas afterwards.

Ive started dusting off and cleaning my brewing gear prepping for a much anticipated brewday.

Bought some specialty grains (flaked wheat/corn, C10 and C30, Vienna) and ground my pale malt for tomorrow's brown ale. Later I will clean equipment and sanitize for bottling my saison.

Morning started out with a trip to one of my LHBS and then started brewing another batch of an American Pale Ale my wife loves. Didn't have a free fermenter, but I knew something would work out. Started drinking while heating the strike water and kicked my keg of my last extract kit (I am all grain now), NB caribou slobber, that had been hanging on too long. So... cleaned up the keg, transferred my saison from my carboy to the now empty and clean keg, and cleaned the tap lines while brewing. Finished up my APA and put into my now empty and clean carboy.

On top of all that I pitched some champagne yeast into a 1 gallon glass apple juice container I bought at the super market last week. Really I just wanted a 1 gallon glass jug for some experimental batches... SMaSHs and the like, but figured I might as well ferment that apple juice that came with it.

If only I didn't have to clean up...

Made a trip to the lhbs to pick up a wort chiller and 3 gal carboy with wife and kids in tow. Planned to pick ingredients for a Belgian wit. My wife them decided it woul be nice if I tried making a Scottish ale. I agreed not knowing that it involved a reduction boil and would be tricky to accomplish using a BIAB system. Bottling bucket as an improvised mash tun and a two gallon kettle to hold an reheat sparge water to the rescue

Today I updated my blog.

Then I breathed a sigh of relief because my Strong Scottish Ale finally started to show signs of fermenting. Nottingham Ale yeast was pretty slow to start on this one, almost a 30 hour lag from pitching to showing signs of action. Now it's roaring away!

Thats a sweet looking stirplate. What is that, an old jewelry box?

Thanks! Yea that's exactly what it is. Sweet find at the goodwill store haha got the box and a charger cable as I only have iPhone ones which don't work well for computer fans. Walked out paying $5

Put in an EvaDry Wireless Dehumidifier and computer fan in my keezer and fermentation chamber to help keep it dry and more consistent temp throughout them.

Was about to extend the copper pipe heat exchanger in my kegerator til I realized I didn't have the fittings I need. So I just cleaned my CO2 line and prepped my work area for a Saturday brewing session.

So I kegged a couple batches from 2 weeks ago; a Hazelnut Brown and a Blackberry Wheat. Both were LME LHBS kits so at least the grain was fresh. The jump to AG is soon approaching. Stuck'em on 30 pounds of CO2 a piece and wound it down to 10 48 hours later. Here's hoping it comes out to be worth a ****. I take another pull this weekend and report back.

I just kegged my first batch!!! Sooooo much better than bottling. Waaaaaay faster, def worth the money. Can't wait to taste it in a couple weeks :rockin::ban:

20150812_114120.jpg

Foam Monster!!!
20150812_114558.jpg

It's so lonely :(
20150812_115431.jpg

Back