Pitch Whole Starter Into Wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
I normally don't pitch the whole starter in my wort but I think I may have to this time and had some questions for the community.

I made a starter using White Labs California Ale yeast on Thursday. The starter took off really well and had a nice krausen on it. Went to throw it into the fridge last night to cold crash it for todays brew session and this morning (and still now) there is a krausen on the top and barely a yeast layer on the bottom. I plan to start brewing in about 2 hours or so and don't see the yeast settling out too much more in that time. Do you think pitching a 1 liter starter into a blonde ale would change the color or taste very much. It is a five gallon recipe and the starter was made with pale malt extract. Thanks for the help.

Sounds like you don't have much of a choice. What was the gravity of your starter wort? It sounds like it was above 1.040. I've been pretty happy with something in the low 1.030's. There isn't too much of a krausen to deal with and the yeast is settled out in 2 days.

If/when the yeast settles out of the starter,but still has krausen,I just stir it up right before pitching. But,since my brews are typically between 1.040-1.048,I just make a small 1 1/2C starter with 1/4C light DME for a few hours to get the wort going sooner & stronger. Works rather well,as brews tend to taste better when it gets going sooner. Not to mention,more vigorously. My 2c...:mug:

I didn't take a gravity reading. I used 5 cups of water and 1 and 1/4 cups of DME. Just used the 2 cups of water to 1/2 cup of DME ratio that I always use.

I didn't on the starter either. Just get it going soon enough to get plenty of viable yeasties that are ready to rock-n-roll when pitched. Had krausen up to the lid in 12 hours (I checked it upon rising from bed). So it could've been only a couple of hours?...

Well as luck would have it my plans have changed a little today and I don't think I am going to get to brew. I will brew tomorrow now and maybe the yeast will settle out a little more in the next 24 hours. If not oh well what can you do. The starter is similar to the blonde I will be making, or at least close enough.:p

I thought the same thing basically. Match the starter closely to the brew it'll be used in. Or at least,the DME that'll be used in the brew...:mug:

Back