Fermenter too warm, then too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
Ok, Here's my situation.

I made an IPA using Pacific Ale Yeast WLP041 a couple of weeks ago, and the fermentation temp started around 70 but slowly started rising to about 78 because of this heat-wave. I've never really had a problem before, and I've made several batches, but I don't remember making anything in warmer weather like this. I don't want to say I'm not worried about it, but I realize now that what's done is done. Reading around the forum here, I definitely want to make a Ferm chamber for future batches.

So, I'm not ready to bottle yet and I'm about to go on vacation for a week. I'm a little worried about the temp while I'm gone, since no one will be here to turn on the AC.

I have an extra fridge in the garage, and at the lowest setting I've got it keeping a pretty consistent 55 degrees.

Is that too cold?

Will the sudden change from high to low shock the beer?

It's already in secondary, so most of the fermentation is done.

Opinions?

P.S. Can someone point me to a good resource for fermentation temps for different yeasts? Thanks!

55 degrees will make the yeast flocculate and drop out of suspension. You would be cold crashing your beer. Folks with more experience in cold crashing can chime in with more experienced advice, but I think it should be fine for a week. Could give you really clear beer as well.

My only thought would be the time as I think most folks that cold crash only do it for a couple-few days. Not sure if the extra time would cause a problem.

ChshreCat said exactly what I was thinking. I would be too afraid of all the yeast falling out and then you'd have to repitch to bottle or end up with little to no carbonation (or at the least an extended bottle conditioning period).

I am on vacation right now. My wife talked to her parents yesterday and said that one beer was at 70 deg (5 gal) and one was at 74 deg (6 gal) - we left the thermostat at 80. All I did was place the carboys over one of the floor registers and put a box over them with holes cut out for the airlocks. Maybe I can post pics later. I've used the trick before - a poor man's fermentation chamber. It may not be perfect, but it keeps it cooler than it might otherwise.

As far as the yeast question, I would think most yeast manufacturers' websites should be able to provide you with fermentation temp ranges for their yeasts. I know Wyeast's site does.

Lots of folks cold crash and then bottle. No need to repitch. It's just the timeframe I'd be curious about. I don't crash my beer, so I don't personally know if a week is reasonable or not for that.

Temperature is most critical prior to, and during peak fermentation, AFAIK once that happens, it is pretty much game over and temperature is not as important.

As long as fermentation is complete, it is ok to put it in the fridge. Adding more yeast is not necessary unless you keep it there for months. Higher gravity lagers that lager for more that a couple of months need more yeast added before bottling.

Ok, so I turned it all the way down and I think that turned it off. I barely turned it up, just enough to make it go on and now it seems to be holding pretty steady at 64 degrees.

I think I'll put it in there tomorrow before I leave, as it has been in secondary for a week now.

Like I said, I also have an apfelwein I'm going to put in there. It's been in the primary for about a week and a half.

Thanks for the replies. I think Im going to be looking into a temp controller when I get back.

Update:
So we got back yesterday, and my neighbor who checked it every day, said it was steady at 68 degrees every day. :ban:

So now, I'm ready to bottle. Should I let it warm up a bit first? Or is it good to go?

Back