First lager issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyw

Reaction score
I bought some ingredients a while ago ~ 1 year. Dark liquid malt extract canned, hallertauer hops, and Wyeast Bohemian lager yeast. The hops were vacuum sealed and refrigerated, and the yeast refrigerated in it's original packaging.

I know old ingredients can lead to strange things, but I didn't just want to throw everything away. I bought specialty grains that the recipe called for new and proceeded to brew.

Everything went fine, I smacked the yeast about 5 hrs prior to use (from reading finding out not near enough time especially for (1 year) old sad yeast. I pitched the yeast, nothing happened in the first 3 days. I finally was able to purchase new yeast. I plan on making a starter and re-pitching.

One thing I forgot to do, up until tonight (day 4), was to check for OG. Again, I have been a little out of practice, and I just flat out forgot. Anyway, the reading was 1.093 @ 62ºF... The recipe expects 1.053... There seems to be a discrepancy here.

I am not super worried about it, and I just read all of the nursing horrific beer back to life with some strong yeasties stories. So I am wondering, can I still succeed with this 'strange brew'?

Did you pitch the new yeast?
I am confident you will be okay but I'd reporch soon especially if you have fresh yeast.
Good luck.

I haven't pitched new yeast yet, I smacked it and was going to let it sit overnight, then make a starter... is that pushing it?

If it is fresh yeast I'd pitch it straight away once it bulges.
I would think that less risky than leaving your beer w/o the extra time.
Either way will probably be okay, still I'd pitch rather than wait for a starter.
Let us know what you do
Regards.

The smackpack ballooned up to around 2", so I went ahead and pitched the yeast directly, following beersydoesit's recommendation.

That's a huge difference in OG. What was the recipe, and what temperature is the fermenter at now?

The recipe was from Papazian's book. (I am detailing what I actually used)

6.6# dark liquid malt extract
1 cup caraffe 2 specialty grains
2 oz Hallertaurer (boiling)
1 oz Tettnang (flavor)
1 oz Tettnang (aroma)
originally pitched Wyeast Bohemian Lager
second pitch Wyeast California Lager

The recipe expects an O.G. of 1.052 - 1.056
I got an O.G. 1.093 @ 63ºF

I can give more details about the batch if needed, but for now I will RDWHAHB ;)

If you used only 6.6 pounds of extract, and made 5 gallons of wort, the OG can't be any more than about 1.050. It's not possible. I would bet the others are right, and you just got a sample that had more extract, and not so much top off water.

I would suggest looking at mrmalty.com, and checking out the yeast pitching calculator. For any lager, I make a BIG starter. Any lager over 1.060 gets a much bigger starter. If you put one smack pack in, and didn't make a starter, you are in for a very long wait for fermentation to start.

I think Bohemian lager yeast likes to be in the 48-52 degree range, but California lager yeast can easily go up to about 65 (but without the "clean" lager taste). What temperature is it at now?

I use smack packs all the time. I rarely use a starter. I routinely get fermentation in 3-4 hours very rarely to I have to wait 12.

I've been trying to figure our wtf? How can I get away with this?
I've been putting this down to very fresh yeast.

If you used only 6.6 pounds of extract, and made 5 gallons of wort, the OG can't be any more than about 1.050. It's not possible. I would bet the others are right, and you just got a sample that had more extract, and not so much top off water.
Yeah you're probably right about the OG, it had been sitting for about 4 days before I actually took the measurement. There was probably some sort of separation between the added water and the wort, and I happen to suck up the heavy stuff.

I would suggest looking at mrmalty.com, and checking out the yeast pitching calculator. For any lager, I make a BIG starter. Any lager over 1.060 gets a much bigger starter. If you put one smack pack in, and didn't make a starter, you are in for a very long wait for fermentation to start.
Only using starters from here on out :D I believe now.

What temperature is it at now?
It is at around 62ºF now.

I use smack packs all the time. I rarely use a starter. I routinely get fermentation in 3-4 hours very rarely to I have to wait 12.

I've been trying to figure our wtf? How can I get away with this?
I've been putting this down to very fresh yeast.

Lucky, I guess. Lagers are fermented at about 50 degrees, and so the fermentation is already slower than most ales. I don't often see signs of active fermentation in my lagers (even with a gallon starter) that quickly. But, I have NO yeast off-flavors in them, so I assume that I'm pitching enough healthy yeast. I usually have the yeast at 48 degrees, to go into 50 degree wort in that case.

I've pitched one package of yeast in a few situations- an impromptu brew session, or a low OG ale. I don't recommend it, but of course it's done all the time. Overall, though, if you check the yeast pitching calculator, you're more likely to pitch the optimum cell count.

I haven't done slot of lagers. Just three. All without starters. Two are finished and no off flavors. The third started fermentation in less than four hours, and the test samples are good so far. (it is in the secondary ).
I guess I pitch a liitle warmer about 70.
I have used starters for high OG beers, but not every time.

I haven't done slot of lagers. Just three. All without starters. Two are finished and no off flavors. The third started fermentation in less than four hours, and the test samples are good so far. (it is in the secondary ).
I guess I pitch a liitle warmer about 70.
I have used starters for high OG beers, but not every time.

Maybe pitching 20 degrees warmer than I do makes a difference? I don't know. But, that's good if it works for you.

I pitch my ales at fermentation temperatures, as well, though. I just always do that.

Sorry we took this a bit off topic- but lagers are a bit different and need a little more care to ensure a healthy fermentation. Good luck, bobbyw!

krausen has started to form, looks like this second pitch is taking off

Back