People who LOVE what you brew....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodbyebluesky82

Reaction score
A story to share....

I moved 600 miles away from my family a couple years back, so I only get to make the drive down to Florida and see them a couple times a year. This Turkey Day weekend was one of those times.

So today I sat down with my father, watched a movie on cable, and cracked open a couple bottles of my homebrewed hard cider, and we had a drink together. It was the very last 2 bottles of my first batch of cider, bottled in some grolsch bottles that I had been saving (the rest of the batch is gone).

He absolutely LOVED it. Raved on and on about it. I had backsweetened it with splenda and bottle-carbonated it, and we both remarked about the candy apple jolly-rancher like flavor to it. I never measured gravities, but I estimate its 7%-8% and at 16 oz it gave him a buzz.

It was like bringing him my last 2 bottles of cider to drink together was the grandest gesture in the world. Now he wants more in the future. Don't you love it when people enjoy your brew and want more of it? I'll have to look into shipping him some from my next batch around Christmas.

A story to share....

I moved 600 miles away from my family a couple years back, so I only get to make the drive down to Florida and see them a couple times a year. This Turkey Day weekend was one of those times.

So today I sat down with my father, watched a movie on cable, and cracked open a couple bottles of my homebrewed hard cider, and we had a drink together. It was the very last 2 bottles of my first batch of cider, bottled in some grolsch bottles that I had been saving (the rest of the batch is gone).

He absolutely LOVED it. Raved on and on about it. I had backsweetened it with splenda and bottle-carbonated it, and we both remarked about the candy apple jolly-rancher like flavor to it. I never measured gravities, but I estimate its 7%-8% and at 16 oz it gave him a buzz.

It was like bringing him my last 2 bottles of cider to drink together was the grandest gesture in the world. Now he wants more in the future. Don't you love it when people enjoy your brew and want more of it? I'll have to look into shipping him some from my next batch around Christmas.

yeah that is awesome it was your dad. I have a couple friends that like my brew too much though. But I'd love it if my dad or mom drank and loved something I brewed. I guess this is a sign... Keep Brewing!!!!

My father and I have been enjoying a couple of my ambers the last few days. Judging by the pints downed, he likes it.

My mother will absolutely inhale anything with a cascade dry hop.

It really is a rewarding feeling. Moreso than when friends & beer lovers enjoy your brew. Someone that you respect giving you positive feedback is a great feeling.

Never had the chance to share my brew with my father. He died in July and had been getting progressively worse for a very long time, so no beer sharing. However, my mother is coming over Christmas and actually asked to try one of my beers! This from a woman who has one beer or glass of wine a YEAR! I'm already trying to decide what the best beer in the pipeline is.

yeah that is awesome it was your dad. I have a couple friends that like my brew too much though. But I'd love it if my dad or mom drank and loved something I brewed. I guess this is a sign... Keep Brewing!!!!

Yeah, I come from a pretty prohibitionist family. I myself am more moderationist. We all drank sweet tea with Thanksgiving dinner out of respect for those who abstain completely.

So it was nice to sit back and drink some with my dad yesterday, one of my only family members that I can do that with (when in town anyway).

He will be getting some cider wrapped very deceptively and shipped UPS in a few weeks....:mug::tank:

My condolences on your loss. My grandmother passed in October and my grandfather a year and a half prior. I would love to have shared some beer with both of them. I am going with my wife to a late Thanksgiving party since I couldn't be at the first one because of work. I am thinking of taking some of homebrew there and seeing how it goes over.

OP. That was a great story! It's something that will stay with you forever, especially as it was your last two bottles. Any more may have spoiled it. Congratulations on a terrific family memory for the rest of your life! :D

Never had the chance to share my brew with my father. He died in July and had been getting progressively worse for a very long time, so no beer sharing. However, my mother is coming over Christmas and actually asked to try one of my beers! This from a woman who has one beer or glass of wine a YEAR! I'm already trying to decide what the best beer in the pipeline is.

Thats unfortunate about your dad, you have my condolances. My father's had a lot of health problems recently as well, congestive heart failure and a few other things. I wish I made it down more to see him.

Congrats on your mother wishing to a dive into your pipeline though.

Shame about your dad. I know I really enjoy the times I get to spend with my father (mother passed a few years back) knocking back a homebrew or three, and smoking a fine cigar.
I knew I was on to something decent when one day I gave my doctor (pcp) a few bottles to try -and my wife had an appointment with him two days after I did -he asked her if he could contract me to brew up a 'batch'. I owe the man my life -and I will NOT have him pay for beer -he gets a steady supply now. :) Quite recently, he gave me a burner and bit aluminum cook pot (never used turkey fryer that his wife purchased a couple of years ago, and they never used it -has a high-pressure burner that really gets the wort boilint) -it makes a good hlt.

I loved the first story in this thread, and a couple of subsequent posts were also quite touching. There are a few similar stories in this thread. Maybe you guys want to contribute? :)

Latest posts

Back