Check out these clamps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitsPale

Reaction score
I went to pick up a new gas line from my LHBS. I asked him if he had clamps - he handed me these.

http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/chn.cfm

He said he won't use anything else, just as good as worm-type or oeticker but won't mar the tube and are reuseable.

Anyone else used them? I've got them on my gas line now. No leaks. I like them so far.

Andy

My company uses them alot. I don't think you can get them as tight as a worm-type clamp, but if they work for you great. I might have to give them a try.

fifelee said:
I don't think you can get them as tight as a worm-type clamp, but if they work for you great.

That was my concern initially - I used a pair of pliers and really squeezed on the raised "nubs" to get it nice and tight. I squeezed until I couldn't get any more "clicks" and it's nice and snug. So far - I'm happy.

As they age they will fail, unlike the worm clamps. Every set of those I've had on beer lines has evetually failed, usually at the worst possible time (under pressure). I don't think the plastic holds up to temp changes that well.

Just personal experience. Your milage may vary.

kornkob said:
As they age they will fail, unlike the worm clamps. Every set of those I've had on beer lines has evetually failed, usually at the worst possible time (under pressure). I don't think the plastic holds up to temp changes that well.

Just personal experience. Your milage may vary.

I'd never, EVER, use a worm clamp on anything that was underpressure. The grooves on the strap bite into the rubber - so you're looking at the line itself aging poorly rather than just the clamp. It's much more convenient to keep a stock of clamps than 3 feet of extra line.

If you absolutely want metal clamps go with the crimp or the oeticker types.

I've had at least 6 of those plastic clamps fail leaving me with leaky lines. I've never once had a worm clamp cause a hose failure as you're implying would happen.

kornkob said:
I've had at least 6 of those plastic clamps fail leaving me with leaky lines. I've never once had a worm clamp cause a hose failure as you're implying would happen.

I just know from the automotive industry that those worm clamps are no good on soft rubber.

In fact, someone just posted a picture series of their inline checkvalves with their worm clamps eating their gas lines.

To each his own, I guess. Use what you're comfortable with and works for you.

Andy

I'll preface this by saying that I only use Oetiker clamps on my beverage and gas lines, and FWIW, every place on my 76 Pontiac that requires a hose clamp. Having said that, the only reason that worm clamps cut into the tubing it is clamping is because people habitually over tighten them.

I wont use worm clamps precisely for that reason. Over tightening will cut into the tubing, but not over tightening them will allow them to loosen up over time. Catch 22, IMHO.

I won't use the plastic ones either because they just aren't sturdy enough for me to feel secure enough to trust them. I'm sure that some people will say that they are fine and have worked for them for a long time, and I can respect that. They will work fine right up until the time that they fail and fill your fridge with beer, CO2 or both!

No chance what so ever of a stainless steel stepless clamp failing so I'm going with the odds on this one.

kornkob said:

I'm just wondering why it took you six failures to change the clamps you use... ;)

I've got a bunch of the Oetiker on the way; they're cheap enough where it doesn't bother me that they're not reusable.

I replaced each of the 6 that I had in place. 2 failed at the same time. 2 were in the tower and a PITA to get to and the other 2 were on the sankey coupler setup--- I didnt' care enough to fix them till they failed.

I'd switch to the Oetiker but I've never seen a cheap enough tool--- the clamps themselves are cheap enough but the cost of another tool (that I'll use what--- once a year?) keeps me out of the game.

I ended up buying the nail cutter than NB sells for use as a clamper for ~$13, but I needed one of those anyway. Prolly could have gotten it even cheaper at Depot, but I was ordering anyway. I'm also not one to ever say "no" to buying another tool!

johnsma22 said:
...Having said that, the only reason that worm clamps cut into the tubing it is clamping is because people habitually over tighten them.

I wont use worm clamps precisely for that reason. Over tightening will cut into the tubing...

Johnsma22, I know you were dying for this visual...happy to help prove your point. :D
BackFlow.JPG

Yes, that is my tube being chewed up by a worm clamp. Nice and tight though.

the oetiker clamping tool can be found cheaply enough off ebay (i think i got mine for around 12 shipped?), or at a local harbor freight if you have one.

i'm a big fan of the oetiker stepless clamps. i first bought the 'regular' oetiker that was not the stepless, and had to repurchase the stepless. when you are ordering, make sure you are getting the stepless design.

when i used worm clamps, i had a tremendous number of problems. i have secondary regulators, a 5 port manifold, and inline check valves, all my fittings were flare, so i had clamps on the tubing for the barb-swivel-flare fitting, for the check valves, and for all the tubing to the secondary regulators and manifold. that was a lot of clamps. i built it all and assembled it with worm clamps, tightened down and got rid of all the leaks at first. later on though, i did more leak tests, and realized that the worm clamps were leaking over time. i would tighten down and then strip the worm clamp, rendering it useless. i have since switched most of the fittings over to oetiker if not all of them by now (can't remember).

that reminds me though, it is about time for me to check for leaks again. i feel it is good practice for everyone to check for leaks at least every six months or so, because problems can crop up over time even though things were working well at one point.

BierMuncher said:
Johnsma22, I know you were dying for this visual...happy to help prove your point. :D
View attachment 1813

Yes, that is my tube being chewed up by a worm clamp. Nice and tight though.

LOL! I almost did it to you again, but once was enough! :p I had a feeling that you might post that picture again yourself. ;)

My Subaru is full of those things under the hood. Until now, that's the only place I've seen them so I thought it was a Japanese thing. Cool.

/Currently using mostly threaded clamps, but have switched to the clamp on kind.

gnef said:
i'm a big fan of the oetiker stepless clamps. i first bought the 'regular' oetiker that was not the stepless, and had to repurchase the stepless. when you are ordering, make sure you are getting the stepless design.

I didn't know there was a stepless version. That's for the tip. :ban:

MrFebtober said:
My Subaru is full of those things under the hood. Until now, that's the only place I've seen them so I thought it was a Japanese thing. Cool.

/Currently using mostly threaded clamps, but have switched to the clamp on kind.

Another industry that uses the stepless clamps almost exclusively is the watercraft industry. Like Seadoo's and such. I got all of my Oetiker clamps from a local place that sells and repairs Seadoos. They were even able to order me the crimping tool. I think they charged me $12 for it last year.

MrFebtober said:
I didn't know there was a stepless version. That's for the tip. :ban:

haha. no problem. i'm glad i could help. the reason why the non-stepless aren't 'good', is that they suffer from the same deficiency as worm clamps - they don't seal around ALL of the tubing. with worm clamps, there is a flat spot where the screw is, and on the non-stepless, there is simply a gap. from personal experience (since i bought the wrong ones at first), the non-stepless oetiker clamps leak just as much as the worm clamps.

Latest posts

Back