airlock buildup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixer12oz

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Belgium Abby and the fermentation was going strong all day yesterday, but today when I woke up the airlock was filled with what looked like yeast particles and not fermenting, probably because air could not go through it, so when I attempted to take it off and clean it junk shot in my face and on the walls. I ran it through some hot water and stuck it back on, but is this normal?

(other facts that could attribute: it's 5.35 gallons in a 6 gallon plastic tub, and I pitched the yeast at 78 degrees rather than cooler, this could have affected it more)

some fermentations are agressive and clog the small hole in the airlock.
a larger diameter blow off tube can be used to prevent this.
find a hose that fits the hole in your fermenter and run the other end into a conatainer of sanitizer

fixer12oz said:
I'm brewing a Belgium Abby and the fermentation was going strong all day yesterday, but today when I woke up the airlock was filled with what looked like yeast particles and not fermenting, probably because air could not go through it, so when I attempted to take it off and clean it junk shot in my face and on the walls. I ran it through some hot water and stuck it back on, but is this normal?

(other facts that could attribute: it's 5.35 gallons in a 6 gallon plastic tub, and I pitched the yeast at 78 degrees rather than cooler, this could have affected it more)

Not only is it normal, it's a certainty. 5.35 gallons in a 6 gallon container with a too-high temperature is asking for it!

I'd do what Rod suggested and run blow off tubing until fermentation slows down, and cool it down, if it's still too warm.

Lorena

thanks guys! I've just never seen something like that before on the airlock and it scared it for my beers sake.

Back