Hop Whompus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
I've talked about this in a couple other threads so I figured I would post the recipe:

Hop Whompus

10.5# LME
1.5# crystal 75L
8oz crystal 120L
2oz Liberty whole hops 4.5% - mash hops
3/4oz Centennial whole hops 7.5% - mash hops
1.75oz Liberty pellets 5% - first wort hopping
1oz Centennial pellets 9% - 120 min
1/2oz Simcoe pellets 12% - 120 min
1oz Amarillo pellets 8% - 60 min
3.5z Amarillo whole hops 8% - steeping hops
2.75oz Centennial whole hops 7.7% - steeping hops
1oz Liberty whole hops 4.5% - steeping hops
2/3oz Liberty pellets - dry hop
2/3oz Centennial pellets - dry hop
2/3oz Amarillo pellets - dry hop
1/2oz Simcoe pellets - dry hop
Irish Moss
WL Dry English Ale WLP007 OR California Ale WLP001
3/4 corn sugar

There are also kegging hops you can add but I don't keg yet so I didn't include them in the recipe.

This is by far the best beer ever created*. Of course it's over-carbed (all my beers are) but I'm fine with that. I am so happy with how this turned out.

* in my kitchen. :D

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
How much did spend on hops?

I can't find the bill but the entire recipe was $50+.

the_bird said:
Well, if I somehow manage to hang on to third place in FFB, a bottle of this would be nice....

You got it!

Dude, this is awesome. Absolutely incredible. So much hop flavor, it's right up there with the best beers I've ever had. Great aroma, still smells nice and fresh. I thought there might be some Cascade in there, guess not - but a great citrusy, piney flavor and aroma. Bitter, but not too bitter; a little harsh, not too harsh. You can still feel it in the back of your throat after you put down the pint glass. Great head retention, even factoring in the overcarbing issue.

Not terribly clear, but who cares? Kinda dark from the dark crystal, but that seems to help give it a real solid malt background (plus the huge amount of DME you have in there).

Wow!

Wow.... this is in-friggin'-credible.

Wow, thanks Jay! I'll be getting into your beer soon, I was saving them until I got off my lazy bum and sent those beers to you.

I'm confused by one thing...

How does the recipe have mash hops and first wort hopping when it looks like it's all extract? :confused:

When did you add the initial batches of hops? While you were steeping the grains?

Yeah, I didn't have a mash so the mash hops weren't added. Same goes for the keg hops.

Back