How to clean siphon tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrishart7

Reaction score
How does everybody clean siphon tubing after each use? What solution to you soak it in to clean it, not sanitize?

After one use, my siphon tube seems cloudy and there are lots of water spots on the inside of the tube. Is it possible to make it "like new".

Fill a bucket with Oxyclean and water. Let it sit for awhile, even overnight if you like. Then siphon the solution out of the bucket, just for giggles. Rinse really, really well.

You'll never get rid of the water spots. They are to vinyl what grape juice is to white cotton.

Out of curiosity, we just rinse ours immediately after using it, running warm water through it for a bit then let it dry. We then sanitize before next use. Is this okay to do, or should I go out and buy some oxiclean?

Out of curiosity, we just rinse ours immediately after using it, running warm water through it for a bit then let it dry. We then sanitize before next use. Is this okay to do, or should I go out and buy some oxiclean?
That works and I've done it when time is at a premium. But just to be absolutely safe, get the Oxyclean. It does a great job and requires no labor. Iv'e gotten into the habit of cleaning all my gear with Oxyclean during cleanup. Let it sit overnight and rinse the next day. All told takes about 30 minutes.

EDIT: I follow Yooper's advice that if it looks clean, it is clean.

I do what Mirage does. Just clean it out after each use. Then sanitize it before the next use.
If it works for you, go for it. I'm just concerned about the drying aspect. Vinyl doesn't dry all that great, and that residual rinsing water is a great place for nasties to take up residence. I'd rather kill them with the Oxyclean than hope for killing them with a sanitizer.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one doing it that way. :D That said, I may still pick some up just to be doubly sure. Would rather have bad beer for another reason instead of poor sanitation. I bought a large plastic bin from CheapoDepot the last time I was there so I will have somewhere where I can submerge all my gear (been sanitizing in my fermenter and bottling bucket). I read that oxiclean is not good to use on SS, is that true?

Oxyclean is fine on SS. I've let some solution sit in my sink and damn if it isn't cleaner than when it was new.

On other metals, Oxyclean doesn't do much and may be harmful in some cases, but I haven't done enough research to know that.

Glad to hear that I am not the only one doing it that way. :D That said, I may still pick some up just to be doubly sure. Would rather have bad beer for another reason instead of poor sanitation. I bought a large plastic bin from CheapoDepot the last time I was there so I will have somewhere where I can submerge all my gear (been sanitizing in my fermenter and bottling bucket). I read that oxiclean is not good to use on SS, is that true?

No it's fine and it wont hurt the SS.

That's basically what I do. Wash really well after use, put a bit of detergent in it and rinse with hot water really well then cold, then I drop it in Starsan and sanitize it and put it away. This is what I do with all my racking canes, tubes, hoses and airlocks.

why not sanitize your gear in your bottling bucket/fermenter?

No problem with that, but you do run the risk of scratching your fermenter or bottling bucket. Those scratches are great places for bugs to live. As homebrewers get more involved, there is more and more metal equipment to clean and sanitize, as opposed to the usual plastic starter equipment. You definitely want to keep metal objects out of your fermenter and bottling bucket.

on a somewhat related note: I read online somewhere that you shouldn't use a chlorine based sanitizer on/in your siphoning tubes. is this of real concern? the only stuff I have is the pink powder that came with my kit, it just says chlorinated cleaner on the label. Would boiled water suffice? Should I use the pink stuff anyways? Or do I need to go out and buy another kind of cleaner?

I've had siphon hoses get nasty/funky before, which I hate, so I wash them in HOT water immediately after use, whirl them in a big circle around my head to try to centrifuge out as much water as possible, then sanitize before storage.

Even in Denver's dry climate, I never seem to be able to get hoses completely dry, unless I can dry them in direct hot sunlight. Of course, I always clean and sanitize them immediately before use too. The minute they look "off" to me at all, they're gone. Tubing is cheaper than ingredients.

I had a nasty wild yeast infection somewhere in my equipment once, so I am super-paranoid now. I only use silicone tubing for my transfer and blow-off hoses now. The upside to them is that you can simply boil the hoses (assuming they are already clean), or even through them in the pressure cooker to autoclave them, and there is NO worry about contamination. They were somewhat expensive, but worth the peace of mind and will last me for life.

Need to pick up some Oxiclean..... I just need the version that says Versatile stain remover on it correct? That is supposed to work on everything..ha.

Also.. yes I just brought this thread back from the dead... didn't notice the date after my search!

Back