BierMunchers Rolling Kegerator (BYO Published)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump for the project....

This is great man. I am going to build one next month. I think I have the parts list but can someone verify for me.

Big rectangular trashcan with wheels (55g?)
Kobalt CO2 System
2x4 frame at bottom for leveling
drain spigot
1inch insulation on sides
(2) 1 inch insulation on top and bottom
Commercial grade plastic liner
Tubing (what size and how long?)

Of course the handles and kegs but am I missing anything from the build itself? I just want to go and pick up everything at once.

Thanks much

Bump for the project....

This is great man. I am going to build one next month. I think I have the parts list but can someone verify for me.

Big rectangular trashcan with wheels (55g?)
Kobalt CO2 System
2x4 frame at bottom for leveling
drain spigot
1inch insulation on sides
(2) 1 inch insulation on top and bottom
Commercial grade plastic liner
Tubing (what size and how long?)

Of course the handles and kegs but am I missing anything from the build itself? I just want to go and pick up everything at once.

Thanks much
Drop the 2x4 frame. I just ended up building the bottom up to "level" by layering some extra foam bard, cut to shape.

Use your standard gas hose for the CO2 rigging.

Holy Crap I like this idea.

I compost, so the giant roller-bin
provided by my Garbage Hauler might become a Brew Center...instead of a rain barrel.

Just bought a Grain Mill from Dean,
and WOOT! a 4 way co2 connector at an E-Bay store
so I'm feeling more confident
I can get my portable party system rolling soon.

I also bought a lighted neon HOME BREW sign, :mug:
and portable Corny pumps and Taps in case Brew Buddies bring over more than my faucet system can handle. (One can always hope)

I hope to find good CO2 and Nitro tank deals,
possibly as I have 2 houses, and I host Stout tastings.

Like the Tank system you show, but I'm Cheeeep.
If someone knows a great multi-faucet deal - let me know!

Wanna talk ice, swamp cooler methods,
& other approaches to sustainably cooling our portable Servers?
I think the kegs will stand in thermal foil bags (from the Dollar store),
and have a space blanket tucked over them. I have a bunch of foam insulation,
so that will be in there, too.

Can you motorize this to go with the motorized bar stools?

normal_100_2188.jpg

So I just read through this whole post. I love it!

Two comments;
Although the ice was not a problem, you will get more cooling action from the ice if you add enough water to fill in air space.

Any reason other than it just not being as awesome as yours I can't just use my 5 lb CO2 tank and cut $50-$100 off of this project? Would probably have to have the tank outside of the can though.

I missed this on Black Friday 2yrs in a row but just got one for Cyber Monday $49.99. I don't think it comes with CO2 tanks, but I have my old 20oz paintball tank in the garage.

I'm almost 2 years late on this, but ... this is amazing! I have a camping trip coming up in 3 weeks and I was planning on heading over to Lowes later today to pick up a rolling cooler. Now I'm considering heading over to Lowes for a rolling trash can.

I stumbled on a copy cat through There I Fixed It dot com and he's selling kits...

Why when all the info is here already?!?!

http://kegmobile.com/

True dat.

No insulation.
One beer to select from.
One ugly tap handle set up.

Ah....to be a homebrewer with a variety of personal selection of beers to serve. Give me my three tap system anytime. :D

This is just awesome. I want one!

They said a hot new craze was sweeping 'cross the nation:
"Be the first kid on your street to own this out of sight sensation!
If you want to have a lot of friends and have a lot of fun,
then dig up all your money and go out and get yourself one!"

Because everybody wants one.
And everybody needs one.
And everybody's having fun.
'Cause everybody's got one -
Everybody but me!
I know because I saw it on TV.

Well, I always hate the feeling that I'm being left out.
I knew I had to have one. There was never any doubt.
So I begged my mom and dad until I drove 'em both insane,
and they took me to the store so I could buy the crazy thing.

Because everybody wants one.
And everybody needs one.
And everybody's having fun.
'Cause everybody's got one -
Everybody and me!
I know because I saw it on TV.

Well, I got the thing home and dumped it out of its box.
It just sat there on the carpet looking kind of sad and lost.
I tried to get it going, but it wouldn't work for me.
Why'd it look so darned fantastic when I saw it on the TV?

They said everybody wanted one.
They said everybody needed one.
They said everyone was having fun -
Everybody but me!
Could it be? Did they lie to me on TV? Oh, no!

They said everybody wanted one.
They said everybody needed one.
They said everyone was having fun -
Everybody but me!
I guess I can't believe everything on TV!

Biermuncher,
That thing is so trashy and ingenious at the same time. thanks for all you do and your centennial blonde recipe. Your my new idol...:rockin:

Sorry to bring this thread back, but I'm looking to build one for my upcoming wedding reception (classy, right?) and was wondering how difficult it is to change out kegs once the ice is in. I'm guessing that once you remove a keg, the ice will fall into the hole it left, yes?

wow, this is awesome. Went searching for a way to dispense a few corny kegs of beer for a room crawl party coming up this spring and found this thread. Well done!

BM, your thread has inspired me to build this:
CIMG0014.jpg

CIMG0015.jpg

I am still debating on whether or not to insulate. One problem is I wont be able to fit two keg if one of them happens to be a converted pinlock (2 out of 5 of my kegs in rotation).

kpr121 said:
BM, your thread has inspired me to build this:

I am still debating on whether or not to insulate. One problem is I wont be able to fit two keg if one of them happens to be a converted pinlock (2 out of 5 of my kegs in rotation).

Yooper and I built one last year. Never got around to insulation and now don't plan to...it works great without it. Nice looking build. Add a few kegs and yer done.

Yooper and I built one last year. Never got around to insulation and now don't plan to...it works great without it. Nice looking build. Add a few kegs and yer done.

I saw your version and think it looks amazing.

Yeah I don't think I am going to insulate it. Seems like too much of a hassle. Ice is pretty cheap, and I think if you pack it to the top with ice, and leave it in a cool shaded place, it shoud be fine.

Cant wait to bust this out at my bro's graduation party next month!

I have more beer related projects going now than I have time to complete. However, this is one that is getting bumped to a high priority on the list, since I have a camping / fishing trip coming up with some friends. Seeing as how ice wont be easy to come by where we will be once set up, anyone have approximate time of effective cooling for insulated and non insulated setups?

Wal*Mart has a Rubbermaid (Roughneck, maybe?) 45 gallon can for about $30, but I don't know, it seems kinda flimsy. While I don't expect people to treat it rough, I'm wondering about the durability of the plastic. Anyone using this one have some feedback?

Built mine today - still needs some finishing touches, of course. Also, I'm not sure if my drip tray will work out, but it's only held on by magnets as of now.

5805689471_a8a2e1b469_b.jpg

Amity said:
Built mine today - still needs some finishing touches, of course. Also, I'm not sure if my drip tray will work out, but it's only held on by magnets as of now.

Nice job! I really like the faucet mounting through wood. I still appreciate mine when I take the time to look at it. It adds a bit of class to the trashcan.

I just picked up a JacPac on clearance and was wondering how I was going to attach the disconnect to the tubing. I see you have a quick disconnect (male?), and a barb.. any idea on specs? Are they Watt pieces?

Ok, I tooke it for a test run.. and nothing but foam and the beer was flying out. What is the secret to this????

First, make sure the kegs have had several hours to settle back down after moving them around.
Second, Bleed all gas out of the kegs.
Third, turn on your gas just enough to get the needle to move off the peg.

Remember, you are just putting enough gas into those kegs to push the beer.

FYI - Sicilianos Market in Grand Rapids is having an Epic Kegerator contest. I think you can find details on their facebook page (FB is blocked at my work and I'm too lazy to unblock it right now.

I currently have this setup for a 13 gallon keg and two Cornys, but could easily fit a third corny in the roughneck. It only takes a few bags of ice and a couple hours to chill the kegs. I cut a flap in the back of the roughneck for the gas hoses (and the beer line for the big keg.)

Awesome!! Thanks Biermuncher!

image-1528294899.jpg

I'm not sure if they still carry them, but harbor freight use to have what was basically an off brand version of that co2 setup. I picked one up for an air cannon at around 50 bucks.

+1! Subscribed. I have an event to go to in October and I will make this for it. Should be fun!

while in horrible shape now, (notice the tap handle is rotted from sitting in the woods for the past 8-10 years, lol ) i made this at least 15 years ago. It was for 1/2 barrels and worked great. we would drape a curtain around it and there was a Corian countertop a friend of mine made that sat right on top we would use for liquor bottles, cups, etc. The nylon drums are really thick and actually hold ice pretty well, probably twice as long as the grey industrial garbage cans we used to use. . I haven't tried but you should be able to get 3 ball locks in there.

Patrick

Old Keg Drum.jpg

Back