Quick light beer.. I can't decide!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to brew up a low ABV light beer for when my mild kicks out. I can't decide which one! I've done the Centennial Blonde thing a few times before and I want to try something different.

I'm thinking about a Kolsch, or something.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Kolsh are very nice. I want to try to add some pear to one to really push that flavor but I do not know if you do the fruit thing or not...

Have been dreaming of a SMaSH with Fully modded Pilsner malt, the new French Aramis hops and French Saison yeast.

I have to many empty fermenters ATM and need to fill them up!

I also will remind you that you are running out of March to make a true Marzen Oktoberfest...

I've got a Cream Ale plugging away in the basement now, should be ready to bottle in another week. I would like to do a Kolsch also, I can cool down my fermenter with a swamp cooler but really have no way of lagering or cold crashing later. Cream ale I just use Notty and keep around 60-63

I am brewing up the Eagle Rock Solidarity clone which should be a quick turnaround at 1.039 OG. A kind of black mild.

After that I am going to make a smoked Scottish 70/- Heavy:

Heavy Smoker

Batch size: 5.5 gal
OG: 1.038
FG: 1.010
Bitterness (IBU): 17.7
Color (SRM): 19.1
ABV: 3.8%

[Grains]
Maris Otter Malt 3.0lb Grain 37.5%
Munich (German) 2.75lb Grain 34.4%
Weyermann Smoked 1.0lb Grain 12.5%
Chocolate Malt (US) 0.5lb Grain 6.2%
Torrified Wheat 0.5lb Adjunct 6.2%
Weyermann Melanoidin 0.25lb Grain 3.1%

[Hops]
Willamette 1.25oz 4.5% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 17.2 IBU
Willamette 0.75oz 4.5% AA Pellet @ 1 min, 0.4 IBU

[Yeast/Other]
Dry English Ale yeast 1.0 unit(s), Yeast

Not exactly to style, being a little dark and the addition of smoked malt, but I am looking forward to giving it a go.

A traditional Kolsch would need to be lagered, so it doesn't really qualify as "quick."

Do a 1/2 Wheat 1/2 Pilsner Malt Hefewiezen.

A traditional Kolsch would need to be lagered, so it doesn't really qualify as "quick."

I agree, i always have a kolsch going and its about a 2 month turnaround from grain to glass.

hefe or ipa are both "quick"

Low ABV is a requirement as well. Not sure if there are any good ways to make an APA low ABV, or if I'm just better off brewing a blonde or something.

I keep planning on brewing beer, and then stuff pops up all week to keep me from doing it. Darned responsibilities!

I'm planning a simple quick brew myself this weekend when I have time. I'm going with an american wheat... don't even have to clear it ;)

Scottish 60/70/80 shilling ales are low alcohol and quick to brew. Very tasty as well!

The Mild I already have turned out very nice. I'm not always in the mood for that obvious roasty flavor.

By the time I decide what to make the Golden Wheat beer I made will be done lagering...

I could make another Centennial Blonde, but I just thought about mixing it up a bit and trying a different recipe.

I make a Citra APA that is very good in just a tad over 4 weeks, tad over 3 if you keg:

5 gallon batch:

9.0 lbs Two Row
0.5 lbs Honey Malt
0.75 oz Citra @ 60
0.5 oz Citra @15
0.5 oz Citra @ 5
Safeale US-05 Yeast

Mash at 156
Mashout 170 (optional)
2 weeks primary
Bottle and carb/condition for two weeks (or keg and force carb to 2.2-2.4 atmospheres)
3 days in the fridge before serving

This one tastes like sunshine and smells like lemon-lime!

I was going to suggest American Wheat. I'd use something like Wyeast 1272 that will ferment fast and drop clear - and pitch plenty of it.

Two row and wheat. Maybe a little light crystal or something. Moderate gravity. Hit it up with some late addition hops.

I was going to suggest American Wheat. I'd use something like Wyeast 1272 that will ferment fast and drop clear - and pitch plenty of it.

Two row and wheat. Maybe a little light crystal or something. Moderate gravity. Hit it up with some late addition hops.

I already have a light wheat beer in the lagering fridge (well, it should be in there today. I forgot to rack it to secondary and put it in there after a couple of days for D-rest...)

I think I'm going to try the Cream of 3 Crops recipe. Not as low ABV as I was shooting for, but close enough. Biermuncher hasn't let me down so far and it looks like something that I can bottle up and give to regular beer drinkers if the need arises too.

I make a Citra APA that is very good in just a tad over 4 weeks, tad over 3 if you keg:

5 gallon batch:

9.0 lbs Two Row
0.5 lbs Honey Malt
0.75 oz Citra @ 60
0.5 oz Citra @15
0.5 oz Citra @ 5
Safeale US-05 Yeast

Mash at 156
Mashout 170 (optional)
2 weeks primary
Bottle and carb/condition for two weeks (or keg and force carb to 2.2-2.4 atmospheres)
3 days in the fridge before serving

This one tastes like sunshine and smells like lemon-lime!

I might brew that up in a few weeks. I had a Citra IPA at The Vierling in Marquette last summer and it was really good. I don't have any Cirta ATM, and I've been seeing a lot of recipes with honey malt lately, so I might throw in a few pounds of that too while I'm at it.

I've been seeing a lot of recipes with honey malt lately, so I might throw in a few pounds of that too while I'm at it.

Just note that honey malt is pretty potent stuff. I wouldn't put more than 10% of the grain bill of honey malt in any recipe. Even at the 0.5 lbs I put in the recipe above, the honey taste shows up in the final brew.

Back