Crazy Belgians!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBasile

Reaction score
Belgian yeast that is...

I purposely underpitched my Saison because I was unhappy with the lack of yeast characteristics on the last batch. I went out this morning (after pitching last night) out of habit, as whenever I use a starter, fermentation is going well by the morning with at least an inch of krausen. Of course, no signs of fermentation. I went out a few hours later out of boredom and BAM! Headspace was full of krausen and it had knocked the blow-off tube off (1/4" tubing on the inner tube of a 3-piece airlock)! This was one vial of white labs Saison Blend pitched into a 1.057 wort.

This just goes to prove that I have NO clue what causes some fermentations to have crazy krausen, and others not to. 99% of mine do though.

fermentation can take up to 48 hours to show, 12 hours isn't too crazy. if you're looking at the airlock bubbling as your sign, that's not really indicative of anything. sounds like you're right on track!

Latest posts

Back