hops vines tips dried.. help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzyvba

Reaction score
I water my hops every other day since I planted them 2 weeks ago. However, in a watering day it rained so I skipped watering that day thinking that rain is enough. however I noticed that some vines tips dried and other vines tips were not as firm as they should be, although the soil was always moistured (I think).

Do you think it was because of too much watering? or too little watering?

Thank you for reading this.

Are these first year hops or old? New rhizomes will need to be kept more wet than old growth plants, but daily sounds a bit much.

I like to water mine when the soil starts to dry out. There are a lot of different watering methods, but I subscribe to the method of a good soaking once the soil gets dry. The idea is that this forces the roots to go deeper in search of water, and makes the roots more robust.

Disclaimer: My hops are in containers, and this is their second year. They had good yields last year (4 dry oz of Zeus and 1 dry oz of Willamette). They also found the holes in the bottom of the containers and put roots into the lawn!

sounds an awful lot like too much water. my first year growing them is this year and i've had them out since March and have watered 3 times total. Mine are gorgeous right now and only just starting to come out as i plant all my plants fairly deep (i grow lots of plants). tips of leaves yellowing, drying, etc. is 90% of the time too much moisture. You need to give the roots a chance to seek water on their own. if they get a steady supply and never work for it, they will be stunted or worse, die. hops aren't a wet climate plant AFAIK. As i understand it they like sun, warmth, and a good supply of water (thought not too much).

Next time before you water, touch the ground about 1"-2" below the surface. Is it dry? If so, only water a little. If it needs more in an hour, come back. If it's still moist below the surface, let it be. If it's in the ground (as opposed to my container grown but soon to be transplanted), if you're not having drought conditions, you can sometimes skip watering for a few days at a time. Watering daily is, IMO, overkill.

You could probably mist young plants i suppose? Not sure. I would mist for foliar feedings.

Are these first year hops or old? New rhizomes will need to be kept more wet than old growth plants, but daily sounds a bit much.

I like to water mine when the soil starts to dry out. There are a lot of different watering methods, but I subscribe to the method of a good soaking once the soil gets dry. The idea is that this forces the roots to go deeper in search of water, and makes the roots more robust.

Disclaimer: My hops are in containers, and this is their second year. They had good yields last year (4 dry oz of Zeus and 1 dry oz of Willamette). They also found the holes in the bottom of the containers and put roots into the lawn!
You, sir, have the right idea. Let the roots work for their drink. Strong roots equal insanely strong branches.

Howdy, Some general rules. FWIW..

Three things will make for tips to brown. Over watering, underwatering and over fertilizing.

A plant should dry before getting watered again. This may take one day, two days, or whaterver depending on the soil. It should always be soaked when watered, and not just moistened. If the soil does not drain and dry within a day or two. You need to fix the soil with some sand, perlite, vermaculite, small stones or something that will help it drain.

If the plant is always wet you might consider pulling it out (with shovel, retaining as much soil near the roots as possible) and putting it in a pot for this season. Perhaps a fungicide, or just try again next year.

Luck!!

Howdy, Some general rules. FWIW..

Three things will make for tips to brown. Over watering, underwatering and over fertilizing.

A plant should dry before getting watered again. This may take one day, two days, or whaterver depending on the soil. It should always be soaked when watered, and not just moistened. If the soil does not drain and dry within a day or two. You need to fix the soil with some sand, perlite, vermaculite, small stones or something that will help it drain.

If the plant is always wet you might consider pulling it out (with shovel, retaining as much soil near the roots as possible) and putting it in a pot for this season. Perhaps a fungicide, or just try again next year.

Luck!!
this sounds like an extreme measure. i'd just let it dry out for a while and dose with some liquid fertilizer (diluted) gently over the course of the next couple weeks. if it's only the tips, in my own experience, it's excessive water. Insufficient watering tends to show itself with other signs as well as the tips. Nutrient issues will (again, in my own experience) usually show other signs such as spotting, poor color, etc. That said, i've never grown hops before and am just going by what i've seen with my myriad of other plants.

Kungpaodog

fineexampl

Sean

Thank you so much for your input. I got it. yeah I think that it was over watering issue,. because I didn't let the soil dry.

the soil is a multi purpose store bought soil. not mixed with the regular soil. and they are in containers.

Fineexampl you are probably right. on all the points you made, I was just being brief.

The reason I suggested pulling it if it is sitting in water, is that I have found that once any type of rot sets in, it is very difficult to get rid of. I too am talking about plants in general. If there is rot on the root or stem, and the plant is young, it is probably cheaper and less frustrating to replace it. My2cent: )

Back