Frozen Concentrate Rule of thumb for body.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrchaos101

Reaction score
Those of you do the frozen concentrates… Do you have a rule of thumb you follow for wine body?

I.E. 2 cans per gallon for light, 3 cans per gallon for med and 4 cans per gallon for full? Assuming it is all straight the same flavor. Not mixing. AND does this change depending on the type/flavor conconetrates used? Would you need to figure this out for each flavor?

Most of what I have made have been between a light and med body with a rose to dark rose color. I am thinking I want to make a FULL body wine my next batch… something with tannin for dry mouth feel…. Something RED to go with steaks.....thinking a straight Concord Grape :cross:

Man I love this forum!

4 cans per gal will get you close to 1.09 - 1.10, but a good full bold red will be much stronger. Maybe you can try adding a couple pounds per gallon of blackberry, or black currant, or elderberry?

I love the Biltmore Estates cab and Malbecs - they almost taste like they have black currant and a peppery spicy bite. If you like your red wine to have a bite maybe add some pureed ginger root and dried chiles sometime after your first racking?

Plan on lots of extra aging time, extra tannin, extra acid, and VIGILANCE in the process. My first big wine tasted like butt because I was lazy and drank it young

Latest posts

Back