Mocha Oatmeal Stout Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbies

Reaction score
Brewed my first partial mash a few days ago, it was an Oatmeal Stout kit I received as a present. I might be getting ahead of myself, but I can't resist the thought of adding coffee and chocolate to make it even better. The recipe was as follows...

6.6 lb Muntons Light Malt Extract
1 lb Muntons Amber Dried Malt Extract
.5 lb Black Patent Malt
.5 lb Roasted Barley Malt
.5 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Flaked Oats
2 oz. Sterling Hops (bittering)
1 oz. Williamette Hops (finishing)
Wyeast 1028 London Ale Yeast

I am thinking about adding roughly 30 oz of cold brewed coffee to the secondary, and then 4 oz of chocolate extract to the bottling bucket. What I'm concerned about is the bitterness this may cause. I really like both dark chocolates and coffees, but I don't want to over do it and create an undrinkable beer. Anyone have experience with a brew like this or any suggestions?

I don't have any expierence with this recipe or anything similar to it but it sounds pretty delicous. I made a similar Stout without the addition of Coffee. I'm not full of answers but thought if you didn't want to sacrifice the whole batch - and have the equiptment - Do a half and half. that way you have a sure half batch of an Oatmeal Stout and then you can tinker around with the additives of coffee and extract in the other. If you remeber let me know how it turned out I'm an avid choc and coffee consumer myslef - although beer out weighs the two.

At the moment I only have an ale pail and one glass carboy. I was hoping to use a 5 gal jug from a water cooler I picked up, but have since been scared off by the warnings of #7 plastic leeching. I guess I could rack half to the carboy and add coffee, leaving the other half sit in the ale pale until it is ready to bottle. Of course I could always pick up some more gear at the LHBS. Either way I'm too excited with the thought chocolate coffee oatmeal stout to not tinker with at least to some of the batch. I'll be sure to report back.

Search down a bit in the extract thread, we(me) have been going through this same situation. I used 1/2# coffee cold steeped in 2 quarts of water for 24 hours. I also used about 5 oz baking cocoa. The beer is in the secondary as I type this. It was a little bitter, so I am going to check again at bottling time and add either splenda or lactose if needed. I am also going to add a little mint in the bottling bucket. I may bottle in a couple of weeks.

From what I can gather the chocolate extract is not as strong as the cocoa powder as it draws on the chocolate notes already present, plus I wanted to avoid any build up of fat in the carboy.

Ultimately I'd like to avoid lactose so I can share it with a few dairy-free friends, but if it comes to it I might try it. Haven't even thought about sugar alternatives, I'll have to do some research on them if it does turn out too bitter. Good call on that mint though, sounds like it should be amazing.

Back