Wit IPA Recipe - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slanty_Shanty

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm planning on brewing a nice, crisp wheat-based IPA in a couple of weeks, and here's what I came up with. The hop schedule and choices are based on recommendations I got here. I'm not used to brewing wheat beers, so any feedback would be appreciated. Check it out:

Brevity Wit IPA (2015)

Recipe specifics:

Style: Witbier
Batch size: 5.0 gal
Boil volume: 6.0 gal
OG: 1.078
FG: 1.020
Bitterness (IBU): 86.1
Color (SRM): 5.3
ABV: 7.7%

Grain/Sugars:

6.00 lb Wheat DME, 50.0%
3.00 lb Pilsener (German), 25.0%
3.00 lb Wheat DME, 25.0%, boil for 20 min

Hops:

1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 28.0 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo (AA 8.0%, Pellet) 30 min, 21.9 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe (AA 12.0%, Pellet) 20 min, 25.9 IBU
1.00 oz Citra (AA 14.5%, Pellet) 5 min, 10.3 IBU
3.00 oz Citra (AA 14.5%, Pellet) dry hop
1.00 oz Simcoe (AA 12.0%, Pellet) dry hop

Yeast/Misc:

California Ale yeast, 2.0 unit(s), Yeast
Orange Peel, Sweet, 1.0 unit(s), Spice , boil 0 min

Thoughts? Suggestions? Critiques? Ridicules? Insults?

That looks solid. If you want a clean profile keep the California Ale Yeast, but a traditional wit yeast works too. I really like white IPAs brewed with Wit or Saison yeast. Just my $.02.

Ooooo, a Saison yeast. That could be interesting. I've never used one of those...what kind of characteristics will that bring out in comparison to the California ale yeast?

Ooooo, a Saison yeast. That could be interesting. I've never used one of those...what kind of characteristics will that bring out in comparison to the California ale yeast?

I like WY 3711 because it attenuates quickly, which is better for hoppy beers. As far as characteristics, I'd say peppery and citrusy. It would be awesome with all that citra.

I don't know about a saison yeast in a nice wheat ipa.....seems like it would give an off finish or mouth feel.

Wow.. I love the Hop Schedule, Yummy.

Personally, I'd replace lb or 2 of wheat for more pilsen.

But here's my reaction: !!!!!!!! That's a wheat DOUBLEIPA!!!
12lbs!!!! 5 gallons!!! 9 lbs Wheat???
Wow.

I'd love to try it, but I can't imagine how that will turn out. Let us know.

I don't know about a saison yeast in a nice wheat ipa.....seems like it would give an off finish or mouth feel.

I guess it's a matter of preference. I've brewed a few hoppy saisons and really enjoyed them. There are also a few good commercial examples. If you like saison yeast characteristics and hops, I'd say give it a try.

I guess it's a matter of preference. I've brewed a few hoppy saisons and really enjoyed them. There are also a few good commercial examples. If you like saison yeast characteristics and hops, I'd say give it a try.

I think that's the big thing here. I don't particularly enjoy saisons. So the real question here is if he's trying to brew a saison with tons of hop characteristics or if he's trying to brew an IPA with a saison profile? Only one profile can be dominate.

Are you trying to make a witbier/IPA hybrid (aka White IPA)? I've done several of those, and I find you really need a Belgian Wit yeast to differentiate it from a hoppy american wheat beer. Also, youll need some flaked or unmalted wheat

I'd shift the hops more towards the end of the boil and go for a massive hopstand. I started doing this for my IPAs and I wouldnt consider doing anything else. Any hop addition before 20min or so (save the bittering addition) is a total waste IMO.

This is my latest one that's all tapped out now
OG/FG: 1.065 / 1.012
5lb pilsner
3lb wheat
2.5lb flaked wheat
1/2lb aromatic
1lb cane sugar

mash at 148F for 60 min
mashout at 168 for 10 min

@60min: 1 oz merkur (or any other high % bittering hop)
@10min: 1 oz hallertau blanc / 1 oz amarillo
@0min: 2 oz hallertau blanc / 2 oz amarillo
*hopstand - steep for 60min after flameout before chilling*
@30min into hopstand: 2 oz hallertau blanc / 2 oz amarillo
@dry: 1 oz hallertau blanc / 1 oz amarillo
@keg: 1 oz amarillo

@5min: 1 oz coriander and 1 oz orange peel

edit: wait so we want to brew a hoppy saison now? cause I've made way more of those....

Haha, I'm not entirely sure what I want to brew! I was initially thinking an American Wheat IPA, but then the Saison sounded intriguing, and then the thought of adding a Belgian yeast twist to it popped up...and now I'm all confused. I suppose there are worse things about which to be confused though...

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Much to muse on, I have...

Latest posts

Back