cloged airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campranger06

Reaction score
So I've got a cherry stout that I put into my primary yesterday afternoon. Well, I woke up this morning to the sound of a tea pot ready to blow. Needless to say that sound was being generated by my fermenter & airlock. I cleaned and uncloged my airlock, but within 10-15 minutes it's cloged again with the krauzen. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to handle this??

I haven't brewed any beer yet, but the 2 weeks I've spent on the forum I know better than to even use a airlock im going straight to a blowoff tube. even though some people have never had a airlock problem I'd rather be safe than sorry.

you do have car insurance right? well blow off tube is your insurance for "just in case"

-=Jason=-

Same thing happened to me, but I didn't catch it in time. I was doing an IPA and the fermentation started within a few hours. The next morning, I checked it before work and it was bubbling like crazy. My wife and I both had to work and she checked it again before she left. She got home that evening to find that the top blew off of the ale pale and splattered the entire laundry room (and everything in it) with hoppy krauesen. What a mess. Air lock got clogged with hop residue as the krauesen made its way into the air lock. From this point forward, it's a blow off tube everytime! No more beer bombs!

Like said above...use a blow off tube. I have had numerous Airlocks filled during a vigorous fermentation and I just got tired of it. Now I use a blow off tube.

Back