Need hefeweizen recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeM80s

Reaction score
Does anyone have a very simple hefeweizen recipe? preferably an extract version that makes 5 gallons. I've never made a hef before so i'm not really sure what to expect so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Are you looking for a traditional German Hefe, like a Weihenstephaner? I can hook you up.

4.25 Pale Liquid Extract
3.75 Wheat Liquid Extract
1.00 oz. Hallertau @ 60 min
White Labs WLP300

I'm not really sure. Its for a girl, she wants a semi-sweet wheat beer. he fav beer is sam adams blackberrywit, soooooo something like that without the fruit... but that one above looks good. what do you have to do differently when brewing a wit?

actually, now that im thinking about it, a recipe that uses some citrus zest would be good also. If anyone has one layin around and wants to share :)

not really sure to be honest. what would you think a girl would like more? she is fond of blue moon and blackberry wit. stuff like that...

I would go with a Wit...ever had Hoegaarden? This is a very close approximation of a clone of Avery White Rascal...an excellent Belgian Style Wit converted to an extract recipe:

3.75 lb Wheat Liquid Extract
3.50 lb Pale Liquid Extract
1.00 oz Saaz [3.20 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 1.0 min)
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 1.0 min)
0.50 oz Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 1.0 min)
1 Pkgs Forbidden Fruit (Wyeast Labs #3463)

Ferment @ 72

I would go with a Wit...ever had Hoegaarden? This is a very close approximation of a clone of Avery White Rascal...an excellent Belgian Style Wit converted to an extract recipe:

Ferment @ 72
Yes i have had hoehaarden, i liked it a lot. this recipe looks amazing, thank you so much. so you just add the whole peel not like zest shavings or something? never used fruit in beer before. would it be possible to get a walkthrough of making this beer?

Yes i have had hoehaarden, i liked it a lot. this recipe looks amazing, thank you so much. so you just add the whole peel not like zest shavings or something? never used fruit in beer before. would it be possible to get a walkthrough of making this beer?

Sure. I am assuming you know the basics of sanitization, etc. Before I start, can you do full boils or do you have a small pot that you need to top off in the fermenter?

I have a 5 gallon pot, but i usually only boil 3 and top it off in the carboy. I've brewed about 10 batches so far, but only pale and amber ales, so wits are a little intimidating just because i've never tried it before

so you just add the whole peel not like zest shavings or something?

You need to buy the Orange Peel from a homebrew shop or order it online...here is an example of bitter orange peel:

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_21_75&products_id=467

bitterorangepeel1.jpg

I have a 5 gallon pot, but i usually only boil 3 and top it off in the carboy. I've brewed about 10 batches so far, but only pale and amber ales, so wits are a little intimidating just because i've never tried it before

Nothing intimidating at all...bring your water up to "warm" and add your extract. Bring the mix to a boil and add your hops to start the 60 minute boil. Set a timer to 59 minutes. You are going to need to crush the coriander seed. The best way, in my opinion, is to put the measured seeds into a ziplock back and go over them multiple times with a rolling pin. With 1 minute to go, add the coriander and the orange peel and let it boil for 1 minute. Turn off the heat. Let it sit and stir it occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes (this treats the coriander and orange peel like tea and allows the oils to seep into the wort). Cool the wort, rack to your carboy, top it up, aerate the wort, pitch your yeast, and ferment at 72 degrees.

Any other questions?

Ferment @ 72

Damn... This sounds pretty good... I'm going to save this one. :D

Nothing intimidating at all...bring your water up to "warm" and add your extract. Bring the mix to a boil and add your hops to start the 60 minute boil. Set a timer to 59 minutes. You are going to need to crush the coriander seed. The best way, in my opinion, is to put the measured seeds into a ziplock back and go over them multiple times with a rolling pin. With 1 minute to go, add the coriander and the orange peel and let it boil for 1 minute. Turn off the heat. Let it sit and stir it occasionally for 20 to 30 minutes (this treats the coriander and orange peel like tea and allows the oils to seep into the wort). Cool the wort, rack to your carboy, top it up, aerate the wort, pitch your yeast, and ferment at 72 degrees.

Any other questions?
I have been under the impression the when using extract you should add it as laste as possible to the boil, is this true? also, when you say "top up" you mean add the extra 2 gallons to make 5 right? not to pour clean water on top of fermenting wort in carboy or something? i know that probably sounds crazy but i got newbie jitters...

I have been under the impression the when using extract you should add it as laste as possible to the boil, is this true? also, when you say "top up" you mean add the extra 2 gallons to make 5 right? not to pour clean water on top of fermenting wort in carboy or something? i know that probably sounds crazy but i got newbie jitters...

There are different schools of thought in terms of hop utilization, malliard reactions in longer boils with extract, etc. I don't pay attention to that because I do full volume all-grain brews. I only did 2 extract kit batches before switching to all grain. However, I used my brew software to convert my all grain recipes to extract. You may or may not be better off adding the extract late in the boil...I just don't know. However, what I do know is that my process explained above will produce a great beer. Also, keep in mind that it is VERY hard to get the "white" color of wits using extract if not using a late addition method. When I say top up, I mean add the extra 2 gallons of sanitized water to the carboy on top of the cooled wort before pitching.

Thanks again man, this looks great. I'll try to send ya a bottle if you want :)

I would enjoy that, but no obligation on your part of course. Glad to help. Save this thread and PM me when you've had your first sample.

The yeast strain that I have for the recipe IS the Hoegaarden Yeast Strain BTW.

Done and done. I'll be shooting ya a pm anyways to get your address to send you a couple of bottles. Just so I can know how well i stack up to the original ya know?

Just a word of warning. The forbidden fruit is SUPER estery.

You will want to keep your temps down on fermenter.

I used it when I made a omegang red clone. Yummy but very estery. In my case it was a bit over the top for the clone.

Just a word of warning. The forbidden fruit is SUPER estery.

You will want to keep your temps down on fermenter.

I used it when I made a omegang red clone. Yummy but very estery. In my case it was a bit over the top for the clone.

What do you mean by "estery"? I'm still new to some of the terminology...

also: i've never used yeast in a pack like that. I assume those are what people refer to as "smack packs"? how do you use them correctly? I use dried packet yeast most of the time

What do you mean by "estery"? I'm still new to some of the terminology...

Fruity. Esters are the compounds that give many fruits their characteristic flavors.

If you want to tone it down, ferment at a lower temperature. Avery Brewing ferments the strain at 72.

also: i've never used yeast in a pack like that. I assume those are what people refer to as "smack packs"? how do you use them correctly? I use dried packet yeast most of the time

Keep it refrigerated. On brew day, take it out of the fridge 3 or 4 hours before you are going to pitch, smack it and leave it at room temperature.

However, I always make a starter, so the starter process would be done 2 days prior to brew day. The gravity is pretty low on this brew, so a starter isn't totally necessary. In fact, I brewed the beer last weekend and didn't make a starter...it fermented out very quickly.

.75 lb Wheat Liquid Extract
--------------------------------------------
I was wondering, I can't find the Saaz anywhere on Northern brewer; is this a special ingredient? Also, the wheat extract I found on Northern Brewer is a blend of wheat malt (65%) and pale malt (35%). Is this the correct extract? I can purchase it in a 3 lb or 6 lb container. Everything el

.75 lb Wheat Liquid Extract
--------------------------------------------
I was wondering, I can't find the Saaz anywhere on Northern brewer; is this a special ingredient? Also, the wheat extract I found on Northern Brewer is a blend of wheat malt (65%) and pale malt (35%). Is this the correct extract? I can purchase it in a 3 lb or 6 lb container. Everything el

Here is the link to Saaz on Northern Brewer.

If you go with the 6 pound liquid wheat extract, you are going to get:

6 x .65 = 3.9 lb Wheat (this is fine)
6 x .35 = 2.1 lb Pale

You need 3.5 pale so 3.5 - 2.1 = 1.4 lb Pale Extract or 1.4 lb * .8 = 1.12 lb Pale Dry Extract.

I would go with the 6 lb. jug of liquid wheat extract and a 1 lb. bag of golden light dry extract.

On a side note, I will be brewing a full 5 gallon batch. I have a 7 gallon kettle and I put about 6 gallons in it. So, I end up with about 4.75 or 5 gallons and I add enough to get it to about 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. (I do this because I don't like to suck up to much trub)

Are there any differences in the amount of additions since I am doing it this way, for your recipe?

Weinstephan Heffe clone...

6# Wheat DME
1oz Hollertau (.8oz if doing full boil)
Weinstephan Liquid yeast (make a 1l starter)

Bring 3gal water to boil
add DME mix well
add 1oz Hollertau
boil 60min
cool, top off to 5gal, pitch yeast, ferment at 69deg for 10 days, go straight to bottles with 7oz dextrose.

On a side note, I will be brewing a full 5 gallon batch. I have a 7 gallon kettle and I put about 6 gallons in it. So, I end up with about 4.75 or 5 gallons and I add enough to get it to about 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. (I do this because I don't like to suck up to much trub)

Are there any differences in the amount of additions since I am doing it this way, for your recipe?

Nope. On a really scientific level there are slight changes, but VERY negligible.

Latest posts

Back