Crystal malt replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pajdorix

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new, found this recipie I like, but am missing some Crystal malt.
I can't buy it coz I live in... "underequipped country" :rolleyes:

From what I understand it's role is to add sweetnes with it's unfermentable caramel tasting sugars.

Can I use something instead?

Great question. If you have access to regular pale or pilsner malt you could try roasting it yourself. You are right that crystal malts have unfermentable sugars in them. I don't know whether you can achieve that by roasting/toasting malt in your oven. Could take a little more research.

I believe toasting your own will take time. You're supposed to wait a couple weeks between toasting and using to avoid harshness.

Crystal malts go through a separate process where they're basically mashed inside the husks, they're not just roasted. It's doable at home, but not exactly simple. Off the top of my head, I can't think of an easy substitute.

You can soak uncrushed malt in water for an hour, then drain and roast in your oven at 175C for an hour. The water will help in caramelizing the sugars.

Crystal and caramel malts are basically the same thing.

Thank you for your replies they were helpful as I didn't know you can roast it at yourself :D
I figured some special machinery would be neccessery :p

So your advices helped me search in the right direction...

thanks a lot!

Back