Beer pH - can I measure it after bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I am a new brewer based on UK.
Having only brewed a hand full of beers, my brewing career so far is 1% brewing and 99% reading!

My question today is about beer pH. I understand mash pH and my focus at the moment is on the pH of the final product as I understand that each beer has a sweet spot where the flavors shine through.

On my last brew day I diligently took pH measurements during mash and after boil, but forgot to take the pH of the fermented beer prior bottling.

Have I missed the boat here or can I just pour a sample from a fully carbed bottle, allow it it loose all those bubbles and then take the measurement at the right temperature?

In a similar way, if I am attempting to clone a commercial example, can I do the same thing to have an idea what the pH of the commercial beer is and then try to hit the value on my clone? Does this make sense?

Thanks again.
Great info in this forum ... man, how difficult must have been for the folks who started brewing in the 80s.

Cheers
Pedro

Yes, as you indicated you want to knock as much CO2 out as possible. I usually only do it on my sours, but I'll pour a sample into a small glass and stir vigorously for about 5-10 seconds. I'll repeat stirring until I'm not seeing CO2 come out of suspension.

You probably don't need to fuss about the post-fermentation pH unless you're making a sour.

Back