New activity in secondary (dry hopping)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
I racked a Racer 5 clone into a carboy for dry hopping. The activity in the primary had stopped after 8 days when I racked. It's been in there for 5 days and the airlock is bubbling away. There are lots of very small bubbles at the top of a very clear batch.
I think my sanitation was good, though my aeration was not. Is there anything you can think of that would cause this? Do the hops have anything to do with it?

Thanks
KD

Your aeration wasn't good, or wasn't sanitary? Oh well. Sometimes racking to secondary can stir up some new activity, also a warmer room can stir up fermentation. Short of either of those, I might be a little worried.

Did you take a hydrometer reading and was it close to your expected FG before you racked? If it wasn't, you're yeast is probably just finishing their job. RDWHAHB

Assuming fermentation was complete (hydrometer reading?) it is most likely just off-gassing CO2. The hops you added provide nucleation points which causes the CO2 to come out of solution. Nothing to worry about.

bradsul said:
Assuming fermentation was complete (hydrometer reading?) it is most likely just off-gassing CO2. The hops you added provide nucleation points which causes the CO2 to come out of solution. Nothing to worry about.

Thanks for this Bradsul. My reading was 1.018 when I racked, down from 1.071 OG. Should end up 1.015 or so.

Thanks to other replies too.

Latest posts

Back