King Czar Stout with added honey???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
Ok, so I ordered the King Czar Stout recipe from BMW and will be brewing it up next week. Just got a call from a friend who has a couple of gallons of year old honey and I was thinking, Could I add some to a stout and kick it up a notch?
If so, would I just add a quart or so in after the boil?
Would this change the body of the beer?
If so, would I up the mash temp a few degrees?

Welcome any suggestions

If all else I guess I could try making mead.

I'd mash in the 158 range if I were going to add a pound of honey into a 5 gallon batch. Especially on a beer that should have a thick mouthfeel.

Honey is very fermentable (approaching 100%), so yes it is going to "thin the mix" by adding more alcohol to the beer. Try to limit the honey to 1/3 or less of the total fermentables in your wort.

Honey itself has quite a variety in flavor, color and taste. For example, wildflower honey tastes and looks completely different than orange blossom, etc.. Keep that in mind, because honey will impart various flavors to your beer.

Don't add it to your boil, just add it to your fermentation chamber (primary). Boiling it will ruin the flavors as well. Don't worry, as several mead brewers know, there's no need to boil it to sanitize the honey. Just add it to the wort after it's cooled in the primary fermenter and let those yeast feast on it.

The recipe calls for mash at 154, I was thinking 156.

Simple sugars will result in a lower gravity thus a thinner beer. You could do 156 and the pull a sample, chill it and see if it's where you want the mouth feel. If it's a bit thin add malto dextrin at bottling. I've done this on several beers and it works well. The malto doesn't really add any sweetness either.

Latest posts

Back