First Beer Advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesB

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to start brewing and am looking for some advice on what beer to brew as a first attempt. I like lagers and bock beer, but I'm not going to be setup to do any lagering quite yet. Is there something brewed with ale yeast that would have similar flavor and depth as a lager or bock? I will be buying from AHS, so a recomendation for one of their extract kits or a generic type would be great.

I'm not familiar with the offerings of AHS, so I'm not in a position to recommend a particular kit. But I think something along the lines of a blonde ale or cream ale would be perfect for your first attempt. Either will be about as close as you're going to get to a light lager without actually lagering, and with relatively low gravities, they're both fast-finishing and forgiving of small errors.

A Kolsch might be your best bet. But a Cream Ale would do well too.

I'm not a customer of AHS, so I can't recommend exact kits. But reading the reviews on their website should help you a bit.

Back