Autumn Seasonal Beer Punkin' Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh I can't wait to keg this.

I dunno if you saw my last video but I added biscuit malt this time. It'll be interesting to see how good it comes out. Just racked it to secondary today. Did not sample it though. I also have a new conical fermenter coming soon and will be reviewing it on my channel. Cheers, bud!

I dunno if you saw my last video but I added biscuit malt this time. It'll be interesting to see how good it comes out. Just racked it to secondary today. Did not sample it though. I also have a new conical fermenter coming soon and will be reviewing it on my channel. Cheers, bud!

I did see it! Can't wait for the review! Cheers

Yeah we have a whole foods a half hour away but I won't have time to go there. I cut up half I the squash and baked it and that will hopefully work!

EDIT: seemed to work just fine. Beautiful orange color and no stuck sparge.

So I went to a few different stores (brewing this tomorrow AM) and walked out without pumpkin... couldn't find it anywhere. Even giant eagle and walmart. Ended up leaving walmart with a 3.93# butternut squash. How much should I use compared to the pumpkin? Thinking about just cutting it in half, scooping it and baking it like I would pumpkin.

I think you might even like the results with butternut squash better than pumpkin. I always use some butternut squash in mine. Better flavor IMHO.

whats your youtube name?

How long have you guys been keeping this brew in the primary? I'm going on 3 weeks at this point.
I do want to rack to secondary with vanilla beans.

Left mine in primary for a month and a half. Racked to an empty keg, hit with gas, and left at room temp for another month before moving to the keezer. Turned out great.

I think I'm on 3 weeks as well. Just waiting for my keg of my mild to kick... any day now..

I brewed this about a month ago. I took a gravity reading at 3 weeks and the safale US-05 had brought my FG all the way down to 1.011 from 1.064. I drank the gravity sample and the alcohol gave it a sharp/spicy quality that was too harsh for me. I controlled the fermentation temp at 65* for a week before I needed the fermentation chamber, then brought it inside the house.

I don't have a lot of experience with dry yeast - I didn't re-hydrate it. Is that an issue? Will this alcohol flavor mellow with time/age?

I brewed this about a month ago. I took a gravity reading at 3 weeks and the safale US-05 had brought my FG all the way down to 1.011 from 1.064. I drank the gravity sample and the alcohol gave it a sharp/spicy quality that was too harsh for me. I controlled the fermentation temp at 65* for a week before I needed the fermentation chamber, then brought it inside the house.

I don't have a lot of experience with dry yeast - I didn't re-hydrate it. Is that an issue? Will this alcohol flavor mellow with time/age?

I noticed the same bite earlier when I kegged it when I tasted it warm. Just pulled a small glass of it cold (been chilling 13 hours) and it wasn't as harsh! I'm not sure if temperature has anything to really do with it, but I noticed my bite is gone.

I also want to point out I infected this batch (accidentally) but luckily it tastes just fine, even with a big pellicle :p I got lucky.

Mine finished low as well and has been on gas for a few weeks now and tastes amazing. The alcohol was upfront in my sample too. No issues now though. I fermented at about 70.

Took a sample tonight. It's only been in primary for about 3 weeks. I used almost 2 tbsp of pumpkin spice, yet it still only has a slight hint of the spice flavor. Has anyone added more pumpkin spice to their secondary? If so, how much? Also, what about pumpkin pie extract to the secondary. Any thoughts or suggestions?

My plan is to also throw 2 vanilla beans into the secondary.

When i made mine i over spiced mine (might have something to do with adding the same amount of spice i put in the boil into secondary for 4 months). I brewed in late March and didn't bottle until early this month. That being said, I like the extra spice, just probably wouldn't add to secondary until a week or 2 before bottling. As far as the vanilla bean goes, I added 3 fresh vanilla beans to mine (1.5 in boil and 1.5 in secondary for 4 months) and didnt notice hardly any vanilla flavor. was considering next time i brew this (as all my friends like it still over spiced or not) im going to add same amount of vanilla bean and at bottling add 1/8# to 1/4# of lactose for more of a cream flavor to help accentuate the vanilla a little more.

View attachment 371637 I just transferred mine to secondary after 4 weeks. It looks a little dark will this lighten up a bit? I didn't take a sample could I take a little out with baster and try?

I don't think the color will change too much at this point.
Yes, I use a Baster too. It's a little tricky, but it works. Don't forget to clean and sanitize first tho :)

When i made mine i over spiced mine (might have something to do with adding the same amount of spice i put in the boil into secondary for 4 months). I brewed in late March and didn't bottle until early this month. That being said, I like the extra spice, just probably wouldn't add to secondary until a week or 2 before bottling. As far as the vanilla bean goes, I added 3 fresh vanilla beans to mine (1.5 in boil and 1.5 in secondary for 4 months) and didnt notice hardly any vanilla flavor. was considering next time i brew this (as all my friends like it still over spiced or not) im going to add same amount of vanilla bean and at bottling add 1/8# to 1/4# of lactose for more of a cream flavor to help accentuate the vanilla a little more.

Where do you find lactose? Grocery store? I haven't checked my LHBS yet.

Ive always used 2# of rice hulls in my grist for this beer. I know the OP says to use 1# for 5 gallons, but 2 lbs is way better! I've never had a stuck mash using that much.

And your finished product comes out a lot clearer!

This is a great time to brew with fresh pumpkin. I prefer using the small Pumpkin Pie Pumpkins. I have seen a lot of instructions for using pumpkin that are very messy. I came by this process just by experimenting. Pie Pumpkins are small enough to fit in your oven without cutting them first and the flavor is amazing. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Then cut a small slit in the pumpkin so that you cut all the way through the meat of the pumpkin. You can use a knive or ice pick. One small hole is all you need. Place the pumpkin on a cookie sheet or roasting pan. Bake for 1 hour or until you can easily insert a knife or fork. Remove pumpkin from oven and cool. When the pumpkin is cool to touch. Simply and easily cut through the skin and meat of the pumpkin. You will see that the skin and the seed/string material all easily separate from the meat of the pumpkin. There is a big taste difference between fresh baked and canned pumpkin. This method of processing retains all the fresh pumpkin flavor. If you have questions about this method of cooking pumpkin, please feel free to give me a call at 770-507-5998.

The Brew Kat at

Racking my 5gal batch to secondary this weekend and plan on adding some vanilla beans. Is there a proper way to prepare them? Sanitize? Slice them open? Dice them perhaps?

I would soak the beans in vodka. This will act as a natural sanitizer. If you want to add a little bourbon flavor, you could soak the beans in bourbon. If you are actually going to put the beans in your secondary, I would you a small hop/spice bag so that you can retrieve the beans easily.

I would soak the beans in vodka. This will act as a natural sanitizer. If you want to add a little bourbon flavor, you could soak the beans in bourbon. If you are actually going to put the beans in your secondary, I would you a small hop/spice bag so that you can retrieve the beans easily.

I only have 2 beans left in my pantry. Will this be enough to give the beer a nice vanilla flavor or do you think 2 beans isnt enough to do anything?

I use french and american oak chips to add some oak cinnamon and vanilla flavor everytime i make this.

I wouldnt be too worried about adding biscuit malt as victory is essentially the same thing minus the orange color

I brewed this in August and it's coming along nicely. Are people using light or dark brown sugar ? Just curious

I used light brown. I'm not sure what the difference would be other than color? Maybe the dark is sweeter?

Do you still have it in primary or secondary or have you packaged it already?

I brewed it 7/31 and kegged it about 3.5 weeks ago. Tasting great so far and getting better and better
odNKy

I made a mixture of vanilla beans, vodka, and pumpkin spice.
It's been sitting in a jar for about 2 weeks.
My plan is to stain that out into another jar so I am just left with the liquid.
Then, I want to put that into my secondary.
My question is, would you pour the mixture into the secondary first and the beer on top of that? Beer first then the mixture? Does it matter?
Also, for those of you who have made a similar mixture, how long do you recommend that i keep this in the secondary?

I used light brown. I'm not sure what the difference would be other than color? Maybe the dark is sweeter?

Do you still have it in primary or secondary or have you packaged it already?

The sweetness is the same, sugar is sugar. The color comes from the amount of Molasses put in the sugar. Dark Brown sugar has more and you get more Molasses flavor.

The sweetness is the same, sugar is sugar. The color comes from the amount of Molasses put in the sugar. Dark Brown sugar has more and you get more Molasses flavor.

I'd be curious to try with dark brown also but it may overwhelm the pumpkin.

Back